people are funny

/ people are funny #1  

heehaw

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M4900, B7510 and RTV
i went to an estate sale this wk-end: made a deal on a craftsman "flex-drive" 10" table saw and a shop dust collector: the folks running the sale put sold signs on both: so a lady takes the sold sign off the dust collector, and puts it on the table saw, with the sold sign already on the table saw, and says it wasn't there...i just laughed at her and told her it wasn't worth arguing about, then helped her and her husband load it. brand new from Lowes, a delta dust collector is $200: i hope they enjoy their prize. has anyone ever used the "flex-drive" craftsman saws? i bought it just for the blades and attachments that went with it: plan on selling the saw later.
heehaw

/ people are funny #2  
The Flex Drive is an attempt to get a better cutting capacity in a direct drive saw. Because of the motor diameter, a saw that's direct drive can't get the blade arbor as high as a belt drive saw. So the flex drive is a compromise that lets the arbor get higher without interfearance from the motor.

I've only used one once and it worked OK. I'd imagine that the flex shaft might have a shorter life if the saw is often overloaed. And I'd maybe be a little leary about using a moulding head.:confused:

/ people are funny #3  
heehaw said:
i went to an estate sale this wk-end: made a deal on a craftsman "flex-drive" 10" table saw and a shop dust collector: the folks running the sale put sold signs on both: so a lady takes the sold sign off the dust collector, and puts it on the table saw, with the sold sign already on the table saw, and says it wasn't there...i just laughed at her and told her it wasn't worth arguing about, then helped her and her husband load it. brand new from Lowes, a delta dust collector is $200: i hope they enjoy their prize. has anyone ever used the "flex-drive" craftsman saws? i bought it just for the blades and attachments that went with it: plan on selling the saw later.
heehaw

I made the mistake of buying one in 1981. Great salesman said I would never have to tighten the belt.....well true, but he didn't mention the flex shaft that would twist apart under a load of anything thicker than 5/4 stock. The first one was replaced happily, the second one they didn't want to replace at all, but after some threats of returning the saw, they saw the light. When the third one twisted off I loaded the saw up & drug it through the store to the salesman and demanded a refund. I only had the saw three weeks. It didn't take long for the store manager to show up to get me in his office to refund my full purchase price. Sears didn't sell the flex drive for long. My Delta has worked flawlessly for 27 years now.

/ people are funny
i "had" never seen a flex drive saw, until last saturday, and i went to the estate sale, and an auction: there was one at both places.
heehaw

/ people are funny
i sold the saw to a guy that has a "second hand store": for $75: that works out good for both of us: i got the accessories and only have $50 invested.
heehaw

/ people are funny #6  
let this be yet another example of why they call them crapsman power tools....

Craftsman hand tools rock...

but you couldnt give me there power tools even for a boat ancor.

/ people are funny
i had the craftsman 12 inch, direct drive table saw for 20 years: i sold it and then later got a 10 inch belt drive: and other than the 10 inch one saying 3 hp on the front of it, with a 1.5 hp motor on board: its been a work horse: i've looked at a lot of table saws this last year: and don't see enough difference to make me want to trade up to anything lowes or home depot sells.
heehaw

/ people are funny #8  
heehaw said:
and don't see enough difference to make me want to trade up to anything lowes or home depot sells.
heehaw
;)

you must have never run a powermatic 66 or Delta unisaw :D

the belt drive versions are better than direct drive.....

/ people are funny
you are right: have never run either: the problem i see with craftsman belt driven saws: i'm sure a lot of you have run into this: one motor, with 1 hp stamped on the specs plate, and it out performs some others that have 2 hp stamped on the plate: well, that good motor is usually on the other saws.
heehaw