Peace at home... via clean boots. What do you use?

/ Peace at home... via clean boots. What do you use? #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I'm frustrated with what I've found thus far for cleaning off my boots, prior to entering the house.

At the end of the day, I take them off on the porch and its not an issue. However, throughout the day, I will need to run inside for something, and inevitably, I track in a bit of mud/dirt/grass/etc.

Growing up, we had a metal shoe scraper imbedded in concrete. That worked pretty well, however, in those days, I only wore slick soled cowboy boots for EVERYTHING. It would clean them up slick as a whistle. Now, however, I've found the utility of heavy lugged work boots, and therein lies the rub.

I purchased one of those 'shoe scrapers' with the brushes on the bottom and along the sides. Its a little narrow for my shoes, and I have to really force them through to get any good, which makes it more difficult to clean. But it works to a relatively good degree along the sides, but the lugs don't get very clean.

I haven't found a doormat which looks like it would do any better. But then I thought, there are over 1000 guys on here who probably run into something similar time to time, and might have a better idea on what is available to work. I think I could build something, but I just don't have the time nor the shop in which to do it. So, I'm looking for YOUR idea on what works best for you.

I'm not looking for sparkling clean, just something to get more of the mud out of the lugs of my shoes, QUICKLY, to track less of it into the house and onto the hardwood.

/ Peace at home... via clean boots. What do you use? #3  
I've never found a brush/cleaner that's worth a hoot.

I use "Shoe In" step in overshoes: from Amazon.

The kick-on style look to be nice too.

Leave them by the door. Step into them going in the house, kick 'em back off when you head back down to the barn.

/ Peace at home... via clean boots. What do you use? #4  
I have a nice wide mud streak in my living room! That's what happends in the country and a muddy spring driveway. In summer I'm gonna build a mud room in the front .

/ Peace at home... via clean boots. What do you use? #6  
I just slip my shoes off as soon as I'm in the house. Works everytime!

/ Peace at home... via clean boots. What do you use? #7  
I have a nice wide mud streak in my living room! That's what happends in the country and a muddy spring driveway..
Yep. I pick up the chunks that fall out of the cleats. You sweep and vacuum, and pretend it isn't there.

I do have one of those brushes you put your foot in. But nothing seems to clean the lugs.

/ Peace at home... via clean boots. What do you use? #8  
Going inside the house with a pair of muddy boots is a one-time deal. (You married guys know exactly what I mean.)

Shoe scrappers and boot brushes don't work. Water hose is too much trouble. I simply slip mine off at the door and step into a pair of house shoes that I leave at the door for that purpose.

/ Peace at home... via clean boots. What do you use? #9  
For one reason or other, I wear Mucks from October thru May. I take my boots off on the porch in the winter, bang them together and that gets rid of the snow. I stop at the garden hose during the muddy season and that eliminates any mud. I set my "cleaned" boots on a small chunk of carpeting inside the house and thats that. My entry way and all throughout the kitchen area is quarry tile - so cleanup of any crud/snow is fairly easy if I have to make a dash into the house.

I never found any type of brush or brush system that will clean the mud or cow poo that's worth a darn.

/ Peace at home... via clean boots. What do you use? #10  
Sometimes I slip some plastic boot shaped shells over the muddy boots if I havta go inside for something. Sometimes I wear a two buckle gollosh over the boots that has to go on/off with each trip. If the mud is real deep, I wear rubber knee length boots that slip off/on with each trip.
Gempler's sells the plastic shell thingys.