PCV for MF 135

/ PCV for MF 135 #1  

Mulligancreek

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1736
Got a Mf 135 with a Perkins gas engine. I have being restoring and replacing for a month. Looking over the engine I got to wondering about replacing the vent tube with a pcv and routing to the air box. When the engine was built in 1973 gas was 25 cents and dumping excess down the front of the engine was no big deal. But at 3.29 a gallon can a significant improvement be had in routing the unburned fuel back through the intake? Would better ventilation make oil changes less frequent?

Larry

/ PCV for MF 135 #2  
PCV systems are not intended to improve fuel economy but rather to reduce emission of unburned hydrocarbons from the crankcase into the environment, while at the same time, ventillating the crankcase.

Routing the crankcase ventilation tube into the engine air inlet will have no effect upon fuel economy.

SDT

/ PCV for MF 135 #3  
Hi

Petrol (Gas) is $7.50 per US gallon here in the UK which is why we have not had spark ignition for Masseys since 1964. There were only diesel engines in MF135s. Red or farm diesel is only $3.60 but Derv ( road fuel for trucks) is $8.25.

The last petrol engines were Standard Motor Co from their car range and were 2 litre OHV. I do not know whether you had the same one or used Continental engines as in the early TE20.
We have a TEL 20 Vinyard which is petrol/TVO, I do not know if you had them in the States as you start up on petrol and then change to the parafinn when the engine is hot. TVO (parafinn) was the same price as diesel but is no longer available. We have not had her running for several years. There is a recipe for making TVO on farm but we cannot be bothered.

We tried changing a MF 35 from petrol to Diesel but found the front axle casting and pinion was different. We restored it and sold it to a chap who takes it on rallys and does his saturday morning shopping with it. He says it is easy to park and is just as fast as a car in the town centre traffic.