Patched tires and towing

/ Patched tires and towing #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
Just had a good sized nail taken out of the front right tire, Michelin LTX2, 275/60/20 after the TPMS system went off.
30 pounds instead of 40. Slow leak. System worked just like it should, and the Ram dealership in town fixed the tire
for a very reasonable fifteen bucks.

But...I tow a 7000+ pound travel trailer behind my 2015 Ram 1500, and now I have a patched tire. These tires are already
working at capacity. Can I run safely with a patch? I'm sure the stock answer is yes, but have any of you had properly installed
patches fail?

15,000 miles on tire, really don't want to have to use it as a spare, but should I?

thanks
Drew

/ Patched tires and towing #2  
I've had tires patched for the exact same reason you did. I've never had a patch fail but I had a serious talk with the senior man at our local tire sales store - Les Schwab tire sales & service. I was fully prepared to replace the patched tire with a new tire but he indicated with the type of patch they used it was not necessary.

I would suggest you contact the local Michelin dealership and have them analyze this situation.

/ Patched tires and towing #3  
You have a better chance of something else getting another tire than the patch failing on that one if done properly.

Chris

/ Patched tires and towing #4  
Just how did they patch the tire? Did they put a patch on from the inside (sometimes called a "boot") or did they use a "plug" without needing to take the tire off the rim/truck?

Properly done, either method should be fine for continued use - but, they need to have been properly done.

If the tire holds air for the next month with regular use, it should be just fine.

/ Patched tires and towing #5  
many times when I replace a tire the old tire could have up to (guessing the most is about 8 to 10 patches in it), but the average is 3 or 4 patches in most any tire,

one day on the pasture pickup I had flats on only 4 tires that day,

a side wall should not be patched, and depended up on, if one needs to some times one can run a tube in a side wall puncture, (but I hate tubes with a passion),

a patch does not dis qualify a tire from service,

and in my recall, I do not think I have ever removed a tire (wore out) from service that did not have a patch, in it,

If properly patched it is a good repair, (if the damage is extensive, it should be retired, a nail or wire, is not usually a type of damage that weakens the tire),

if the tire bulges where the patch is or any where, replace the tire, as usually a belt is damaged,

/ Patched tires and towing #6  
Move it off your steer wheel to the rear ...

/ Patched tires and towing #7  
I've run plugged/patched tires towing off and on forever...As long as it's done right, no problem.

/ Patched tires and towing #8  
I've run plugged/patched tires towing off and on forever...As long as it's done right, no problem.

I've plugged many a tire on both trailers and truck. Never an issue afterward.

/ Patched tires and towing #9  
Move it off your steer wheel to the rear ...

Here's another good argument starter. Sounds reasonable, but I've always been told that if you're going to have a blowout, it's better to have it on a wheel you can steer than one you can't.

For the OP, don't worry about it. I'm 99% sure your next flat will not be the plug.

/ Patched tires and towing #10  
Here's another good argument starter. Sounds reasonable, but I've always been told that if you're going to have a blowout, it's better to have it on a wheel you can steer than one you can't.

Blowouts are pretty uncommon in my limited experience and it's usually the sidewall that goes. I'd be interested in an expert opinion on this as well. As I understand, in the case of a blowout do NOT jump on the brakes. Control the vehicle and slow normally.