Pasture project 1st phase

/ Pasture project 1st phase #1  

unaka

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson 243, 2002 Model, 4wd, FEL
Here are some pics of the project I've been working on. I'm working on fencing my cattle completely out of the creeks, so I'm having to install culverts and watering tanks to compensate. The waterers are basically redesigned septic tanks with no lid. The local septic tank place delivered them Monday. I did have to hire a backhoe to dig the trenches for the water lines, but I've done the rest of the work, mainly moving dirt, spreading gravel, and laying water pipe. My MF 243 has been invaluable during this project, I even used it to pull out the septic tank truck after he got stuck in the mud (thank goodness for 4wd). I'm especially impressed with the 6' Rhino box blade. I'm inventing new uses for it almost daily. When all this is done I'll move to phase two, which is putting up all the new fencing.

This first pic is the culvert I had to put in. As you can see I've used filter cloth under the first load of crush 'n run gravel.

Attachments

• 33-124445-newculvert.jpg
    33-124445-newculvert.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 143
   / Pasture project 1st phase
Second pic is the first watering tank during installation.

Attachments

• 33-124446-middlepasture.JPG
    33-124446-middlepasture.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 142
Last pic is of the second watering tank. Here I had almost finished when a cow came along and stepped on the water line before I could get it dug in properly. She knocked the fitting loose and ALL the water came gushing back out.

Attachments

• 33-124448-longlowpasture.JPG
    33-124448-longlowpasture.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 183
   / Pasture project 1st phase #4  
Nice looking fields...nothing I like better than tree lined fields with no houses in sight...my kind of place.

/ Pasture project 1st phase #5  
Now thats my kinda work..outside,good tractor,nobody around,nice setting and very little mud...indeed your a lucky man.

/ Pasture project 1st phase #6  
Exactly how are these watering tanks goin to work?
Nice job and love the pics.

The tanks work basically the same as a pond. There is an intake and outake, and the water is always moving. Upstream we dug right beside the the creek below the water level and then filled that in with a load of clean washed stone (CWS). Then I took four 4"x 8' pvc pipes and drilled 3/8 holes all around it (60-70 holes per pipe). These were laid on top of the CWS and then another load of CWS was placed on top. Then we dug away the bank so that water would fill this cavity, yet not be in the main part of the stream. This way when it floods the whole project won't get washed downstream. Anyway, the 4" preforated pvc serves as the water collector and is reduced to 2" as it flows by gravity into the tank. In the tank there is a removable 4" overflow than drains back into the creek. I can unscrew it from the bottom of the tank and flush the whole thing out.

I'm expecting four more loads of crush n run today to spread around the tanks. I'll try to get some action shots today and some close ups of the tanks.

This summer may find me plunging in one of these tanks to cool off! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif I even seen some tanks that had a few fish in them.

/ Pasture project 1st phase #9  
Hmm... I think I kinda agree. The sides of those tanks look kinda tall for any young stock to reach over. And kindof deep if any critter manages to climb over the edge.

I wonder how high above finished grade the side wall of the tank is?

Larry

/ Pasture project 1st phase #10  
Nice watering tanks. I have something similar. I have oblong concrete tanks, that sit on top of the ground.. but are no higher than your above ground portion, uses a float for fill.

And yes... livestock have a way of undoing things... Especially my cow.. jezzebelle a 14 month old longhorn.. she likes to 'help' when I'm working in the pasture.

Chris