Particulate filter delete

/ Particulate filter delete #221  
That’s back asswards. Highest smoke is at high bmep. Lowest smoke is at low bmep. Smoke= particulate.

High speed, low load is better than low speed, high load.

It's not the RPM, it's the load. High RPM with low load creates more pm. You can operate low RPM but you want to keep load on engine. In other words keep it working hard.

/ Particulate filter delete #222  
That痴 back asswards. Highest smoke is at high bmep. Lowest smoke is at low bmep. Smoke= particulate.

"bmep" (brake mean effective pressure)

Have not heard that term used anywhere in the past 55 years.
I flew the Lockheed Super Constellation back in the mid 60's.
We set power on our 4 Wright Cyclone R3350s in BMEP
236 BMEP was our engine takeoff power setting.

/ Particulate filter delete #223  
... Highest smoke is at high bmep. Lowest smoke is at low bmep. Smoke= particulate. High speed, low load is better than low speed, high load.

Control BMEP with cam timing, intake-closing being most critical. Race car engines of old relied on cam event 'overlap' to moderate BMEP at low RPMs where VE is lower (volumetric efficiency). This made curving a distributor easier. Lopey idle is further dramatized by not having vacuum advance. :D

(Old time and little known heroes of engines include Leo Goosen, and my guy Vittorio Jano. (emember the heady days of Group 7 racing much after their time?)

We must avoid the mindset that any and all exhaust restrictions rob power. Engines are ported and tuned with a certain back-pressure in mind. Turbos added without hp increase are there to improve VE for a cleaner burn. We learned with LD1's tragedy that cam timing is very much different when turbo is fundamental to higher power variant of same displacement without it.

/ Particulate filter delete #224  
I think y'all are to worried about the dpf filter I drove 18 wheeler at Kroger and they had more trouble with the egr than the filter it would leak antifreeze especially the Mercedes diesel I know they had get the filters cleaned occasionally but the egr was a big problem. The diesel is like car engines in the late 70s I remember all the problems with those.

/ Particulate filter delete #225  
"bmep" (brake mean effective pressure)

Have not heard that term used anywhere in the past 55 years.
I flew the Lockheed Super Constellation back in the mid 60's.
We set power on our 4 Wright Cyclone R3350s in BMEP
236 BMEP was our engine takeoff power setting.

Bmep is probably best defined as relative torque delivered normalized for engine displacement. It’s a common term in the engine community.

/ Particulate filter delete #226  
That’s back asswards. Highest smoke is at high bmep. Lowest smoke is at low bmep. Smoke= particulate.

Well not on big trucks anyway. If I run my DD 15 and 13 Detroit's between 1000 and 1400 RPM it doesn't regen nearly as much as if I run it at 1500 or over. I can see every time it regens just by watching my exhaust temp display.
Also the smaller displacement but higher power 505/1850 Detroit regens far less than the larger displacement DD15 505/1650 torque.

/ Particulate filter delete #227  
Well I just sold one of my 3 remaining DPF diesels. Feels like a weight off my shoulders :laughing:
I don’t know if the DEF replacement will be headaches, but they seem to have better overall satisfaction

/ Particulate filter delete #228  
bumping this up, has anyone deleted their DEF/DPF systems and had their units reprogrammed? something like the Reimer Tuning Kits?