Parking Lithium powered Equipment in the house or garage

/ Parking Lithium powered Equipment in the house or garage #11  
I have numerous Li-on battery powered tools and we ride ebikes, had them for years, all name brand quality stuff and have never had a battery fire.

/ Parking Lithium powered Equipment in the house or garage #12  
Lithium Battery fires on the rise along with popularity and cities are coming up with rules for storage of battery powered bikes and scooters.

Lithium batteries fires don’t succumb to fire fighting techniques commonly used such as CO2 extinguishers because they are not dependent on outside oxygen…

/ Parking Lithium powered Equipment in the house or garage #13  
The "awareness" is more of a scare tactic. Use proper batteries and chargers and they will not catch fire.

I've had lithium batteries parked in my garage for over 18 years now (4 different Prius, 1 Hybrid Civic, 1 Hybrid Lexus). Not to mention the power tools that have lithium. Oh yeah, there are three batteries sitting on my desk I just charged for airsoft rifle.

Difference between what I have and what is catching fire in New York, is mine are UL approved.
UL approved Listed from my understanding is the label you need for your insurance to pay out if you ever have a fire caused by any battery.
A lot of off grid fires have been caused by off label (not UL approved listed) Lithium batteries that are not charged properly. China JUNK mainly. Some have no charge parameters for Bulk Voltage charging, and no parameters for cut off time for float cycle.
So some have been taking a best guess at it. Never a good idea with any battery chemistry.

Last edited:
   / Parking Lithium powered Equipment in the house or garage #14  
UL approved from my understanding is the label you need for your insurance to pay out if you ever have a fire caused by any battery.
A lot of off grid fires have been caused by off label (not UL approved) Lithium batteries that are not charged properly. China JUNK mainly. Some have no charge parameters for Bulk Voltage charging, and no parameters for cut off time for float cycle.
So some have been taking a best guess at it. Never a good idea with any battery chemistry.
UL never approves of anything. Look again at the UL logo on your device.

You can get a UL Listing if your product is submitted for testing by a UL certified laboratory. However having been forced to study UL (and ETL) testing I caution they don't care so much as to whether some things burn so long as the fumes are not toxic. And some concern is given as to whether the fire will spread or self-extinguish.

There are more electronics monitoring and controlling my EGo batteries than in my original Apple ][ computer. Put a hot battery on the charger and fan runs in the charger, which refuses to charge until the battery cools. Have noticed similar with DeWalt fast chargers (which have a fan). I think the "slow" chargers simply wait until the battery cools.

Yes, Tesla bathes batteries in liquid coolant. Not only to cool the cells but to heat the cells. Current output is limited until the cells come up to temperature.

/ Parking Lithium powered Equipment in the house or garage #15  
UL never approves of anything. Look again at the UL logo on your device.

You can get a UL Listing if your product is submitted for testing by a UL certified laboratory. However having been forced to study UL (and ETL) testing I caution they don't care so much as to whether some things burn so long as the fumes are not toxic. And some concern is given as to whether the fire will spread or self-extinguish.

There are more electronics monitoring and controlling my EGo batteries than in my original Apple ][ computer. Put a hot battery on the charger and fan runs in the charger, which refuses to charge until the battery cools. Have noticed similar with DeWalt fast chargers (which have a fan). I think the "slow" chargers simply wait until the battery cools.

Yes, Tesla bathes batteries in liquid coolant. Not only to cool the cells but to heat the cells. Current output is limited until the cells come up to temperature.
UL Listed, you are correct.

But they do standardized testing on products and see that they operate safely.

/ Parking Lithium powered Equipment in the house or garage #16  
But they do standardized testing on products and see that they operate safely.
My point is that UL’s standards for safety have more to do with preventing harm to humans than preventing fire.

/ Parking Lithium powered Equipment in the house or garage #17  
I run all my tools on batteries now. I could be driving around with 20 batteries in my truck. I have left batteries on the chargers for days. My tools are all Makita.
I store gas and diesel in cans.
A lot of these videos are just scare tactics. You have more chance of causing a fire from sawdust that sits around.

Don't buy cheap. Don't buy junk.

/ Parking Lithium powered Equipment in the house or garage #18  
Never catch me with that Chinese lithium-ion battery junk in my house - oh, wait, I’m typing this on my made in China Apple iPad. Horrors!

/ Parking Lithium powered Equipment in the house or garage #19  
Never catch me with that Chinese lithium-ion battery junk in my house - oh, wait, I’m typing this on my made in China Apple iPad. Horrors!
I still maintain it all depends on the quality of the electronics in the charger that determines if they catch fire or not. Obvious to me that Li-Ion batteries when fully charged don't like to be 'charged' more and catch fire.

/ Parking Lithium powered Equipment in the house or garage #20  
Those battery fires can’t be good for the environment! :eek: