Parking - in the new day an age - Rant

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #111  
If a car is ever made again with swiveling seats, I will buy one.

My buddy had one back in the 70's. Chevy Monte Carlo? His older relatives liked it.
The people that lived across the street from us had a later 70s malibu classic that had swivel bucket seats. They were neat.

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #112  
If a car is ever made again with swiveling seats, I will buy one.

My buddy had one back in the 70's. Chevy Monte Carlo? His older relatives liked it.
I want to say it would have been a late 50s/early 60s Ford product maybe?
Not sure how a swiveling seat would make it any easier to get in or out though, especially on a modern vehicle with a low roofline. The side airbags above the door cut a good couple inches of headroom getting in and out, even on a tall vehicle like an SUV. Getting your legs in/out gets to be a problem with the cramped driving positions in today's vehicles.

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #113  
People with 20/200 vision can train to use assistive devices that allow them to see appropriately while driving. These devices can look a lot like the magnification loops you see surgeons wearing. They can correct their vision to 20/60 or 20/40 (legal to drive in most states). They might have a license that only allows daytime driving. However, these devices are impractical for constant use so they become borderline (or actually) legally blind once they take them off. The handicap placard allows them to park closer so they don't have to unsafely cross a large parking lot. Without these bioptic corrective devices they would qualify to have whoever was their guardian/driver (parent or spouse) have a placard since they would be legally blind and permanently disabled.

Your observation and opinion disagree with the majority of opinion by both the legislators who designed those laws and the medical professionals who attest to these disabilities. As someone who has been covered by ADA protections nearly my whole life (though not in a way that affects my mobility) who has heard "well, you don't look disabled," the idea that you get to be some arbiter of who is "disabled enough" kind of ticks me off. Just feel blessed that you don't have any issues walking in from the back of the parking lot.
Again I ask, should a person that needs such assistance to see, which makes walking across a parking lot, be allowed to drive? They can safely see to drive but can't navigate a parking lot?

It's a deep hole you are digging. 😏

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #114  
Again I ask, should a person that needs such assistance to see, which makes walking across a parking lot, be allowed to drive? They can safely see to drive but can't navigate a parking lot?

It's a deep hole you are digging. 😏
It's not a deep hole. It's a misunderstanding on your part. For more than 30 years there have been laws allowing those with significant vision impairment to use assistive devices to drive. Many states require specific certification and training to use these devices. These assistive devices aren't as practical to use all the time, so they aren't worn when they aren't driving. I don't think this is common so I doubt it's clogging handicap spaces.

I am sure that these people would love to either have someone to drive them around all the time or be able to have all the time correction of their vision, but neither of those is possible for everyone. Hopefully, permanent correction will be available for more people eventually.

What are you proposing? That these people shouldn't be able to get a driver's license or that they shouldn't be able to get a handicap placard? Again, if you have a problem with the laws, you can work to change them. Otherwise, I am just explaining the way it works.

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #115  
It's not a deep hole. It's a misunderstanding on your part. For more than 30 years there have been laws allowing those with significant vision impairment to use assistive devices to drive. Many states require specific certification and training to use these devices. These assistive devices aren't as practical to use all the time, so they aren't worn when they aren't driving. I don't think this is common so I doubt it's clogging handicap spaces.

I am sure that these people would love to either have someone to drive them around all the time or be able to have all the time correction of their vision, but neither of those is possible for everyone. Hopefully, permanent correction will be available for more people eventually.

What are you proposing? That these people shouldn't be able to get a driver's license or that they shouldn't be able to get a handicap placard? Again, if you have a problem with the laws, you can work to change them. Otherwise, I am just explaining the way it works.
And I appreciate your explanations.

I am simply saying someone that has vision that impairs their ability to navigate a parking lot probably should not be coming down the road toward me driving a vehicle.

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #117  
I park a fair distance away from the entrance, i get exercise and people that can't make that distance, can park closer. I'll keep doing it while i can still walk that far.
That seems to be the consensus here. It also is indicitive of an attitude which just might keep us a bit healthier.

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #118  
People with 20/200 vision can train to use assistive devices that allow them to see appropriately while driving. These devices can look a lot like the magnification loops you see surgeons wearing. They can correct their vision to 20/60 or 20/40 (legal to drive in most states). They might have a license that only allows daytime driving. However, these devices are impractical for constant use so they become borderline (or actually) legally blind once they take them off. The handicap placard allows them to park closer so they don't have to unsafely cross a large parking lot. Without these bioptic corrective devices they would qualify to have whoever was their guardian/driver (parent or spouse) have a placard since they would be legally blind and permanently disabled.

Your observation and opinion disagree with the majority of opinion by both the legislators who designed those laws and the medical professionals who attest to these disabilities. As someone who has been covered by ADA protections nearly my whole life (though not in a way that affects my mobility) who has heard "well, you don't look disabled," the idea that you get to be some arbiter of who is "disabled enough" kind of ticks me off. Just feel blessed that you don't have any issues walking in from the back of the parking lot.
I could give a rats behind about legislators and doctors. They are not infallible and usually are wrong on a few issues.

So if your mobility is not impaired why would you apply for a handicapped placard? Because you can?

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #119  
I park a fair distance away from the entrance, i get exercise and people that can't make that distance, can park closer. I'll keep doing it while i can still walk that far.
This thought goes thru my mind every time I enter a parking lot. Every time.

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #120  
I could give a rats behind about legislators and doctors. They are not infallible and usually are wrong on a few issues.

So if your mobility is not impaired why would you apply for a handicapped placard? Because you can?
Because they can't see without the vision assistance in the vehicle?

Why are you so worried about whether or not somebody is handicapped? Rather, try being thankful that you are not.