Parking - in the new day an age - Rant

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #101  
So I have severe stenosis of L3/L5 and I am scheduled for surgery in about four weeks. I have good days and bad days. On a good day and I can pretty much do all the walking I need to when I get to the big box stores within reason, on a bad day I’m lucky to walk 100 feet before I have to sit down because the pain is so great. I have a handicap placard that I only use on the days that walking is extremely difficult. I have a choice of vehicles to drive, sometimes it is easier for me to drive my Porsche 911 because I can “fall into the seat” and then push myself up when I get out, it’s much harder for me to climb into my F150 on these days. I sure do get looks from people when I drive the 911 though. I just bought a Porsche Cayenne because the seating is pretty neutral, a good compromise..

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #102  
My mother in-law who had the liver transplant and can't walk very far before she's winded, also has had a partial and then complete hip replacement. She has extreme pain and wobbles all to heck as well. She actually prefers we pick her up in the Suburban VS our car as she can just lean her butt into the car and swivel over VS falling down into the seat of the car and having to lift herself out.

She used to drive a Toyota Sienna mini van because of ease of entrance, and she just bought a Buick Encore because it sits higher.

The same thing went for my late father in-law. They both preferred the higher vehicles like vans and SUV's VS cars for the ease of sliding in VS dropping in.

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #103  
My mother in-law who had the liver transplant and can't walk very far before she's winded, also has had a partial and then complete hip replacement. She has extreme pain and wobbles all to heck as well. She actually prefers we pick her up in the Suburban VS our car as she can just lean her butt into the car and swivel over VS falling down into the seat of the car and having to lift herself out.

She used to drive a Toyota Sienna mini van because of ease of entrance, and she just bought a Buick Encore because it sits higher.

The same thing went for my late father in-law. They both preferred the higher vehicles like vans and SUV's VS cars for the ease of sliding in VS dropping in.
I believe that's a big reason truck based vehicles are so popular. "The powers that be" want us to drive smaller cars, yet they are nowhere near as comfortable. I spend several hours every day behind the wheel, and even with my Colorado have to be careful or I will end up with back issues.

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #104  
I believe that's a big reason truck based vehicles are so popular. "The powers that be" want us to drive smaller cars, yet they are nowhere near as comfortable. I spend several hours every day behind the wheel, and even with my Colorado have to be careful or I will end up with back issues.
Our 2003 Suburban is sooooooo comfortable! It's just right. ;)

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #105  
Capable of walking isn't the standard of who gets a handicap placard in any state. In Tennessee the qualifications are
  • are confined to a wheelchair.
  • walk with difficulty or uncertainty.
  • have 20/200 vision or worse with corrective lenses.
In other states, it is even more broad. If you have a problem with that, then you can lobby your state legislator to increase the restrictions.
Just because you can get a handicapped placard doesn't mean you should. Based on my limited observation at work and at stores probably 80% shouldn't park in handicapped spots.

If you aren't using a cane or in a wheelchair you don't need the placard.

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #106  
Just because you can get a handicapped placard doesn't mean you should. Based on my limited observation at work and at stores probably 80% shouldn't park in handicapped spots.

There are many people with heart and/or respiratory issues who would disagree with you.

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #107  
Should a person with 20/200 vision be driving? If that qualifies them for a handicap parking spot shouldn't it also prohibit them from driving?? That's funny right there!!!! :)
People with 20/200 vision can train to use assistive devices that allow them to see appropriately while driving. These devices can look a lot like the magnification loops you see surgeons wearing. They can correct their vision to 20/60 or 20/40 (legal to drive in most states). They might have a license that only allows daytime driving. However, these devices are impractical for constant use so they become borderline (or actually) legally blind once they take them off. The handicap placard allows them to park closer so they don't have to unsafely cross a large parking lot. Without these bioptic corrective devices they would qualify to have whoever was their guardian/driver (parent or spouse) have a placard since they would be legally blind and permanently disabled.

Your observation and opinion disagree with the majority of opinion by both the legislators who designed those laws and the medical professionals who attest to these disabilities. As someone who has been covered by ADA protections nearly my whole life (though not in a way that affects my mobility) who has heard "well, you don't look disabled," the idea that you get to be some arbiter of who is "disabled enough" kind of ticks me off. Just feel blessed that you don't have any issues walking in from the back of the parking lot.

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #108  
I read the first page, and decided I didn't want to read the rest. I drive a tractor trailer for a living and parking is one of my biggest issues. I would have probably hung up my CDL last year, but they gave me a 35% raise to keep drivers. The people complaining about a parking space have no idea of what it would take to park a tractor trailer for overnight parking. Go take a look at the nearest truck stop or rest area after 8pm anywhere in this country!
Adding parking places enough so drivers could actually park when they ran out of hours instead of spending 2 hours looking for parking places would decrease the cost of the shipment by a huge amount! Yet everyone complains about the raising cost of things at the grocery store!
David from jax

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #109  
I pulled into the local grocery store for the morning coffee call. Amazing, A big Dodge suberban type towing a trailer had managed to block FOUR spots by angling in. He only needed two straight in.

In 2005 it was time to buy a new car. We were both retired so I didn't want the usual 4 door sedan as the entry was basically 'crawl down into a hole' On a windy day I took a minivan out for a test drive - nope, not for me -the wind had it all oveer the highway. Then came to the Ford lot. That was the car for me. Ford 500 built on a Volvo chassis. Sat up higher that regular cars and lower than a minivan. Basically back up, sit down,l and swivel feet in. They only built that a few years

/ Parking - in the new day an age - Rant #110  
If a car is ever made again with swiveling seats, I will buy one.

My buddy had one back in the 70's. Chevy Monte Carlo? His older relatives liked it.