parking brake rebuild ? ?

/ parking brake rebuild ? ? #1  

patp744

Bronze Member
Tractor
terramite t5c
I'm calling terramite tomorrow to order the owners manual for my 95 t5c.and parts book if they have one .

I know I need a new brake cable..
but what do you guys think of this ..?
20140514_194330.jpg20140514_194349.jpg

more parts in order ?

the brake band is off to one side of the drum.. i can move it a little bit with my hand ..but not much ..

/ parking brake rebuild ? ? #2  
I'm calling terramite tomorrow to order the owners manual for my 95 t5c.and parts book if they have one .

I know I need a new brake cable..
but what do you guys think of this ..?
View attachment 375221View attachment 375222

more parts in order ?

the brake band is off to one side of the drum.. i can move it a little bit with my hand ..but not much ..

Pat, here is the parts manual: http://terramite2.aronfield.com/T5C-Parts-Manual.pdf

As I recall, the parking break band is fixed on one side and attaches to the tensioning cable on the other side. There is not much to the system. I would see if you can get the band off for inspection. Might be it just needs to be "tweeked" back into shape.

/ parking brake rebuild ? ? #3  
Mine doesn't ride on the drum as it should either. I took it off and tweeked it some time ago and took care of the problem for a while but upon further inspection it has returned to the half on half off syndrome once again. Probably time for a new brake band.

/ parking brake rebuild ? ? #4  
Just finished rebuilding mine; as someone else said, they can be a bear to access. For what it's worth, here's some things I learned. Reassembly order makes a difference. Attach cable to frame down below first; then to handle assembly; then attach brake band to lower cable end; then bolt other end of brake band to frame with bolt and (expensive!) bushings. There are 3 adjustments on the thing (somebody thought of everything on these machines); COARSE: cable strap (upper end) can attach to handle assembly in three sets of holes. I tried the middle ones but had to move down to the lowest ones. MEDIUM: the nuts that hold the lower end of the cable to the frame allow some adjustment. I wouldn't back the cable too far out this way to tighten the band; it's a pretty sharp bend that cable needs to make as it is. Better to use the lower set of holes as above. FINE: the knob on the top of the handle. I was surprised how many turns I had to give it to stop the forward creep.

As for replacing the brake band; I opted for a new one too quick; mine had some wear left but I didn't realize how much could be done with the above options. Check the hardware on the lower end of the brake band to make sure those metal loops are free but not sloppy allowing the band to shift side to side. Same for the cable end in the upper end of the brake band. You may have a worn drum (grooves or ridges) that pushes the band to one side. If the upper and lower mountings are in line and not sloppy, the band should not drift. New band is $63 plus shipping. OUCH. Finally, when the brake is released, there should be a little slack but not so much that the band is forced off to the side. Just my 2cents Hope it helps.

/ parking brake rebuild ? ?
I just got done doing mine today ..
my thought are if I have to do it again I would time it with an hydraulic change so I could slide the tank out of the way (it just sits there) so I could do some of the work top side...
I noticed that if I set the brake and over power in with the trans the belt walks toward the front .. but when I release the brake and set it again its back on the center of the drum..
so when using the brake I just have to make sure I don't over power it ..
it was a bugger to install , but not to bad just took time and some thinking on the order of installation. .I also used the retro spring kit ..that added to the fun..
parts list , new band, new cable, new offset link, and spring kit..
cost , don't remember, and not sure I want to know .. lol