Parking area

/ Parking area #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
I sure could have used a tooth bar on the bucket this weekend. I had access to some free fill dirt that had been sitting for about a year. Not much clay in it but a fair number of rocks in the 6-12" range. I used the tractor to overload my trailer and haul it back to the house. There I had to unload by hand. Now that I have a flat area for parking a couple trailers I want to keep vegetation from growing in the area. I was thinking of putting down some 2" crushed stone then either top with crusher run or asphalt millings or just some asphalt millings with no stone under it. Any suggestions on how to top a parking area to keep the weeds down?

/ Parking area #2  
This spring I made an extra parking area for an extra vehicle that we don't drive often. I scraped back top soil and leveled with a gentle slope in one direction for run off. I already was retopping my driveway with crusher run and since adding this parking spot at the same time, just used straight crusher run about 6" deep. It is holding up very well, but since I don't move the vehicle often, I do have spray with round up periodically to keep grass and weeds from growing. I have to do that in my driveway 2-3 times a year also, so I don't think it is abnormal. Not the whole area, but just where I see something start to sprout. I think no matter what you use (unless concrete or asphalt), you will have to periodically spray for weeds/grass.

/ Parking area #3  
I've had trouble keeping weeds down in coarse gravel, somewhat better luck with stone dust well compacted. Since you're going to use it more for long term storage rather than as a parking space you will be driving in and out of every day, I suspect you will have to deal with weeds.

/ Parking area #4  
Put down fabric before topping with stone/alsphalt dust. Works great!

/ Parking area
Thanks for the responses. I will let things settle this winter and lay some fabric down then use stone dust or asphalt millings which ever I can get cheaper.