Pallets in the field

/ Pallets in the field #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
I've been doing firewood or wood for 7/8ths of my life. The axiom as it applies to firewood especially being "the least you touch the wood, the more efficient the process". From my experience, this is dead nuts true. For this discussion, let's take the wood processor out of the picture as it narrows the firewood aspect for most home owners as to its large initial expenditure..

I tried pallets for the first time last year. It was a disaster. The most inefficient thing we do is stack wood in my opinion. We do so to season it properly. I brought my stems to the splitter, cut rounds and split them and stacked them right on the pallets. I built the pallets with 2x4 wood stanchions to hold up the stacked firewood as criss crossing wood for end support was making me nuts. I then wired the wood stops together to tie them in to each other so I would not get stack "lean." To have to build these things was also making me nuts because I need 40 of them as I season my wood for two years. It takes 4 pallets to make a cord and I use 5-6 cord per years burning from Oct- April.

Now in my head, the most efficient way to make firewood is getting a conveyor and have the splits fall right into a basket. No stacking done at all. You then bring the pallets under cover and bring them over to the burning conveyance. And this wherein lies my problem. Pallets take a heck of a lot more room to organize than stacked wood. You have the pallets themselves wasting space when put next to each other. You have uneven surfaces if you're trying to stack pallets and then the pallets seem to want to fall apart no matter if you used timber lock screws or not as they are being man handled around.

I think one of the more efficient processes is Sawyer Rob's. He splits his wood right into a carrier. He then brings his carrier to where he burns wood after it has seasoned.

Now to me, the absolute best way is to have a huge greenhouse with a cement floor that has grooves in it for air travel and just keep splitting wood as the splitter gets pushed along. A green house big enough where you could get 12 cords in separate lines and simply have the wood "bake" in the green house. The only time you're touching wood is to split it and bring it to the firing conveyance and you can do that with a front bucket. No stacking.

Well, that's my dream sequence and as I cannot afford a 100'x40' greenhouse, this will forever remain a dream.

/ Pallets in the field #2  
We use ag bins that are 26 deep and 48 or so square.

Bobcat or pallet jack can move them.

We fell a tree by road then cut to working logs to transport to one spot then cut into usable lengths and stack in the bins.

/ Pallets in the field
   / Pallets in the field #4  
Arrow,

I use the metal frames from the 300 gal totes that you see everywhere. I was able to get them for $25 each and i fill them after I split my wood, there is obviously enough air flow for drying and I can carry them close to the house for heating season. Just before it starts getting damp I cover them with a tarp to keep the wood dry until I need to use it.

20150322_160601_resized.jpg

/ Pallets in the field #5  
I got so frustrated with building racks out of pallets and loosing wood out of them and finding room for them. They took up so much room and never worked the way I wanted them to. So finally I just cut them up and burned them in my stove.

/ Pallets in the field #6  
I salvaged a bunch of tin from a residing job at an old cannery around the corner. I bend 2 sheets around a tote and attach them to a pallet( as I come across freebie plastic pallets I am switching them over) it holds about half a chord, split wood goes right into the mini shed, I store them with the openings facing east/west, my prevailing winds. It dries just fine in our soggy climate. As i need the wood I just park the pallet right next to the door, so it really cuts down on handling.

Attachments

• image-2938094950.jpg
    image-2938094950.jpg
    649.2 KB · Views: 414
   / Pallets in the field #7  
Interesting, so you're using a sheet of tin with the ribs running vertical up the sides and across the top?

Aaron Z

/ Pallets in the field #8  
haul logs to a chipper, chip into hopper(with blower for drying), auger from hopper to woodchip boiler. Europe has this figured out:HM6300.gif

/ Pallets in the field #9  
Yup, I set a fish tote on top the pallet and bend the two sheets of tin over it, take the fish tote out and screw them into the pallet.
Unless the wind catches an empty one and sends it flying, they hold up great til the pallet rots, hence switching to plastic pallets. I can usually get one or two of those a year beachcombing:)

If I was using them where someone was concerned with ascetics, a little 2x4 frame, add a peaked roof, and new tin and you'll have something pleasing to the eye.