Pallet Forks

/ Pallet Forks #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
Who makes a good set of SSQA Pallet Forks for a 60 hp 4000 lb FEL tractor?
I know it needs to be adjustable for width, but what else is important?
New or Used ones would be OK. We like good old quality tools.
thanks,
rScotty

/ Pallet Forks #2  
Who makes a good set of SSQA Pallet Forks for a 60 hp 4000 lb FEL tractor?
I know it needs to be adjustable for width, but what else is important?
New or Used ones would be OK. We like good old quality tools.
thanks,
rScotty

I have Landpride. 4000 pound rated with 48 inch forks. The forks are adjustable side to side but fixed at the bottom. I prefer the forks fixed at the bottom because it allows me to dig down into the earth or other things if I need to. Loose at the bottoms is easier for picking up pallets. The only thing I don't like about my forks is the guard is not quiet as strong as I would like it but that can always be modified.

Hope this helps!!

/ Pallet Forks #3  
I'm a fan of my 42" forks from Titan; the fit and finish is ugly, but the build quality has proven pretty solid. Add to the versatility of the forks themselves, it's got a headache rack and a 2" receiver as well as spots for bale forks I'll never use. I've moved pallets, implements, metal sculptures, etc. They're not as cheap as they used to be, but still cheaper than much competition. If you're cool with a 10ft paint job and inevitable rust, I'd recommend Titan any day.

Attachments

• 20200513_160752.jpg
    20200513_160752.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 181

Obviously you're using a considerably larger machine, but these forks are rated for FAR more than my tractor is capable of lifting- something like 4k pounds if I recall correctly.

/ Pallet Forks #4  
I would suggest skidsteer quality. I use Bobcat pallet forks I got well before I got the M59 and have held up well with farm use. Use more for boom pole, man basket, drum handling, moving equipment, steel than pallets. 48” I can better see to hit fork pockets.

Seems like a constant supply of bent forks shows up at the scrap yard. Some blacksmiths say it’s pretty good metal.

Titan makes a ssqa and 3pt attach model. Thought about adding 3pt attach option to my frame.

IMG_1770.JPG

/ Pallet Forks #5  
I have the MTL. They were the least expensive and the normal maximum load is 1/2 cord of firewood. They have stood up after two years so that is not much of a test. But I would buy them again.

I am looking at adding a set to the 3 PH as I need to move totes of firewood while using the grapple and switching SSQA implements gets old after a while.

/ Pallet Forks #6  
Landpride 4' 3200# rating, adjustable. versatile tool, however i am not a big fan of using the forks as a pry bar or excavating tool. imho wrong tool for the job. excessive force applied only on one fork (thereby 1 fel arm) can lead to problems. good luck in your search, yes, hd used would be ideal.

/ Pallet Forks
It looks like (Temporarily blocked due to reports of company closure) has SSQA in 48" and 60" forks - both will handle the loads I expect to see. 48" seems like the standard, but are 60" any more useful? Less? I believe the M59 could handle either one. But which one would you recommend? And why?
I will be doing some roofing and moving pallets of shingles and building materials around. After that just general work on the place.
rScotty

/ Pallet Forks #8  
I think 60” forks would be a nuisance. They’re going to stick through the pallet a considerable distance and accidentally hit stuff on the other side. BTW, shingles are way heavier than they look and the M59 won’t lift a bundle.

/ Pallet Forks #9  
It looks like (Temporarily blocked due to reports of company closure) has SSQA in 48" and 60" forks - both will handle the loads I expect to see. 48" seems like the standard, but are 60" any more useful? Less? I believe the M59 could handle either one. But which one would you recommend? And why?
I will be doing some roofing and moving pallets of shingles and building materials around. After that just general work on the place.
rScotty
am sure you've got the experience to know when not to overextend loads if you were to go 60", etc. wouldn't take much homework to see how much your set can handle (w/ballast of course on rear). where you might get into trouble is trying to use those 60" as pry bar or excavation. with your size tractor i'd stick with 48" even from a safety viewpoint, regards

Last edited:
   / Pallet Forks #10  
4570Man made the point: the extra length is likely to be more troublesome for most maneuvering. If I expected semi-regular need for longer forks I would probably spend the few hundred bucks for fork extensions; the aggravation of puncturing walls or whatever would quickly out-weigh the cost of the extensions..