Painting it orange problems

/ Painting it orange problems #1  

nhman

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910
Hey all you kubota **** retentives (of which I am a card carrying member...), I had a problem today. I have a woods rear blade which was the wrong color. So I bought some Kubota orange at the dealer and tried painting it. I'm pretty familiar with painting as it runs in my family, but the Kubota orange didn't work very well. It di dnto flow out on the metal. I kept the paint workable with a dab of thinner and a penetrol, but it still did nto come out all that good. I've got some spots that are very streaky. I will lightly sand the spots and recoat them tomorrow. Can't understand what could have been wrong, I ensured the metal was warm and in a heated garage. I brushed my on, didn't use a sprayer and ensured the surface was sanded and prepped. Anyone with experience?

nhman

/ Painting it orange problems #2  
nhman, I don't have the answer, except that I've done quite a bit of painting and never had any luck myself brushing paint on metal; in fact, I won't even try anymore with a brush. It's spray on or nothing for me./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

BirdSig.jpg

/ Painting it orange problems #3  
I refinished all the sheet metal on my tractor this summer and had no problems with the Kubota paint, but I sprayed everything - didn't try using a brush. Even the aeresol cans of Kubota paint worked well for me.

/ Painting it orange problems #4  
i agree withe bird spray is the only way to go

/ Painting it orange problems #5  
nhman
<font color=blue>kubota **** retentives</font color=blue>
This could mean that a coat of wax was applied to anything <font color=orange>orange</font color=orange>. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

18-30594-ronssig2.gif

/ Painting it orange problems #6  
Need to run it to a body shop and have them spray it. My brother has a shop and it's great for getting things like that painted.

/ Painting it orange problems #7  
Don't know what kind of thinner you are using,but it needs to be an automotive type Enamel Reducer,along with a Catalist or Hardener,The Kubota Bright Orange II is best sprayed on.

/ Painting it orange problems #8  
Primer recommended?

I have a few spots on my rig where the paint has been knocked off by the pressure washer - especially the fel cylinders. Looks like maybe some parts weren't really clean when first painted. Is primer needed? What works best with the Kubota spray orange?

/ Painting it orange problems #9  
I tried Rustoleum industrial for tractors and equipment.
The Allis Chalmers Orange is a very close match. I applied
to my tractor in several areas with a foam brush to hide
scratches etc., now I can't find the touch -ups. Must apply
in one direction only & 2 coats are better than one.
$10.99 for a qt. or thereabouts at farm supply/hardware store.

/ Painting it orange problems #10  
You need to use the recommended reducer with the paint. Also automotive paint should be sprayed on. Make sure that the original paint was lightly sanded in all areas, or use an abrasive pad made for the purpose of preparing a painted surface for painting. Clean the entire surface with a reducer or thinner before priming or painting. Also be sure to feather edge any of the original paint around areas where bare metal is showing. Prime any bare metal and then sand down flush with original paint. Again, make sure your project is clean before painting. If I were painting my tractor I would be sure that an experienced painter was doing the job. If I were painting an implement, such as a grader blade I wouldn't hesitate to do it myself and would even consider using aerosol cans to do the job. With a little practice you can put a decent paint job on with the aerosol spray cans as long as you aren't trying to cover large flat areas.
Good luck and have fun!

Gene