Painting Cast Steel

/ Painting Cast Steel #11  
Is Sherwin Williams Super paint good for metal?

SuperPaint Exterior Latex High Gloss, with improved resistance to early dirt pick up, provides outstanding performance on properly prepared aluminum and vinyl siding, wood, hardboard, masonry, cement, brick, block, stucco, and metal.

willy

/ Painting Cast Steel #12  
Is Sherwin Williams Super paint good for metal?

SuperPaint Exterior Latex High Gloss, with improved resistance to early dirt pick up, provides outstanding performance on properly prepared aluminum and vinyl siding, wood, hardboard, masonry, cement, brick, block, stucco, and metal.

willy
For machinery and implements you need an oil based paint, not a latex. The latex paint would be perfectly fine painting metal on a house, like black iron pipe gas lines, ect… but those aren’t subject to abrasion while being used. Oil based enamel like Rustoleum is best for the OP’s use.

/ Painting Cast Steel #13  
I wouldn't be bit surprised if it comes with at least a light coat of industrial primer. I've seen a lot of gearboxes at work for heavy equipment, and on the farm come this way. And usually pretty clean on the outside as far as oil residue.

But if it does come bare metal and a slight bit of flash rust, a light coat of Ospho Ospho Rust Treatment - Since 1947 will solve that problem. I've been using it now for about 10 years on my old tractors on rusted fenders, rims, etc. Even used it on an old shed roof last summer that had a light rust on it, then top coated with an asphalt sealer. It kills rust, and also etches metal to prepare for painting. Just need to let it dry for 24 hrs before top coating.

What I've used it on so far has worked well. No rust bleed through like before with just cleaning and using a rust proof primer. I'd advise just getting a quart as it goes a very long way. It is as thin as water. Ace Hardware handles it locally here and honestly has the best price. Open the link above and select "Directions for use". Do note is is a phosphoric acid, so care needs to be taken when using it.

/ Painting Cast Steel
picked it up yesterday. opened box to look......its painted black. all is good! i can mount & mow

/ Painting Cast Steel #17  
i use rustoleum on my truck body and trailer frame, I thin it with acetone and use hvlp sprayer, best paint for your money and stay away from latex paints

/ Painting Cast Steel #18  
picked it up yesterday. opened box to look......its painted black. all is good! i can mount & mow

Aww, and I was thinking were were going to get purple & pink with sparkles.

/ Painting Cast Steel