Painting an extra file cabinet to be used for tool storage in the barn.

/ Painting an extra file cabinet to be used for tool storage in the barn. #1  

Wakey

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere Z915B Zero Turn 54 Deck
I need somewhere to store tools that don’t have a case so that I can free up some shelf space. I have one more of these file cabinets in the house that I may do this to, if needed.

I defeated the safety mechanisms so both drawers will open at the same time and all the way. I purchased a furniture dolly for $8 from Harbor Freight just for the casters.

I did some bondo work on some minor dents. This is good practice for some different exterior electrical boxes on the house and for the pool that need paint really bad.

Next up is rebuilding the workbench you can see in the background. Currently it has rough cut lumber for the top and it’s terribly uneven and whenever I use the grinder it all falls through cracks onto everything stored under. I want to put plywood.

IMG_1780.JPGIMG_1779.JPGIMG_1777.JPGIMG_1778.JPG

/ Painting an extra file cabinet to be used for tool storage in the barn. #2  
I need somewhere to store tools that don’t have a case so that I can free up some shelf space. I have one more of these file cabinets in the house that I may do this to, if needed.

I defeated the safety mechanisms so both drawers will open at the same time and all the way. I purchased a furniture dolly for $8 from Harbor Freight just for the casters.

I did some bondo work on some minor dents. This is good practice for some different exterior electrical boxes on the house and for the pool that need paint really bad.

Next up is rebuilding the workbench you can see in the background. Currently it has rough cut lumber for the top and it’s terribly uneven and whenever I use the grinder it all falls through cracks onto everything stored under. I want to put plywood.

View attachment 685694View attachment 685695View attachment 685696View attachment 685697

Looks great. I like the price, too :thumbsup:
I wonder if you leave casters on it and put a thick pc of plywood on top if it would make a nice rolling cabinet with work top for alternators, starter, small repair jobs? :thumbsup:

/ Painting an extra file cabinet to be used for tool storage in the barn. #3  
Defeating the drawer interlocks and adding casters could make it very likely to tip over when the drawers are opened with heavy tools in them. Do you have some other way of keeping it upright when the drawers are opened?

/ Painting an extra file cabinet to be used for tool storage in the barn. #5  
Maybe relegate its use to lighter stuff or hang heavier tools of back side on hooks as a counter weight?

/ Painting an extra file cabinet to be used for tool storage in the barn. #6  
You could put it under a workbench so that it cannot tip forward.

/ Painting an extra file cabinet to be used for tool storage in the barn. #7  
I have a cabinet that was prone to tip-overs. I didn't need it to be mobile so I bolted it to the wall.

/ Painting an extra file cabinet to be used for tool storage in the barn. #8  
Defeating the drawer interlocks and adding casters could make it very likely to tip over when the drawers are opened with heavy tools in them. Do you have some other way of keeping it upright when the drawers are opened?

Yes lateral files are notoriously tippy. At the office we'd either attach them to the wall with a strap or fill the bottom drawer first.

/ Painting an extra file cabinet to be used for tool storage in the barn.
Looks great. I like the price, too :thumbsup:
I wonder if you leave casters on it and put a thick pc of plywood on top if it would make a nice rolling cabinet with work top for alternators, starter, small repair jobs? :thumbsup:

That’s a good thought but it really isn’t tall enough for me. I do have 2 tables and a 24’ workbench that will be more user friendly once I replace the top.

I’m thinking tipping won’t be an issue but if it is I planned on strapping a steel plate on the rear.

/ Painting an extra file cabinet to be used for tool storage in the barn. #10  
I've got two old file cabinets that I use.

One is an old school, 5 drawer, deep and wide, heavy duty file cabinet, the other is a more recent 2 drawer.

Both on caster wheeled platforms. Very usable and convenient for tool storage.

And both freebies, just to haul away!!!

Neither one tips with a single loaded drawer fully opened.

Never found need to have 2 drawers opened at the same time.

Although mine are not that fancy Kubota Orange color!!!

Nicely done!