Painting Advice Request

/ Painting Advice Request #1  

dourobob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Wheel Horse 522xi
I am looking at using a Wagner Airless Spray Gun to paint pine gingerbread trim (it isn't on the porch yet - it is being custom made by a local shop in about 7 -10 days at about half the price of the Home Depot stuff which has to be special ordered and takes 3 - 6 weeks - end of editorial /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif).
It was suggested at one paint place that I use an oil based primer and an "acrylic latex"?? top coat. Other places say only use oil based for primer and top coat. I'm not sure about the mixing of oil and latex coats and I would really like to use latex because of the cleaning up with water instead of solvents issues. Also, I only want to do this painting job once in the next few years so I want the finished product to last as long as possible.

Any master painters out there with comments/advice based on experience.

Thanks
Bob.

/ Painting Advice Request #2  
<font color=blue>"It was suggested at one paint place that I use an oil based primer and an "acrylic latex"?? top coat."</font color=blue>

My father-in-law is a professional painter, and he uses an oil base primer with latex finish coat all the time. The oil base primer seals the surface much better than a latex primer does. Just make sure that the primer coat is completely dry before putting the finish coat on.

/ Painting Advice Request #3  
Bob, I am NOT a master painter. I HAVE made a lot of painting mistakes and try to learn from them. I admire your attitude, seeing through the Big Orange Box to get good stuff at a good price while supporting a smaller buisness and realizing that you need to exercise care to get the economy of longivity in your paint job. I have found that in general you can NOT save money by buying cheap paint. The other three main things to "get right" for a good paint job are inapplicable here as you are starting with bare wood.

OK for those who may not know the three keys to a good lasting paint job. They are (in no particular order) preperation, preperation, and preperation. The best paint in the world on a poorly or improperly prepared surface is a waste of labor.

Knowing that I don't know (and not being too impressed with a lot of the folks behind counters in places like the Depot), I tend to lean on manufacturer's recommendations. Experts, when they can be found (not everyone in white but paint spattered bib overalls is a good source of info) are great. With all the "modern" chemicals in the formulary of paint products, much of what I know gets obsoleted by the time I need to do it again. I guess that is a good thing as it says I got a good long period of protection before needing a repaint.

Way back in time, water based and oil based didn't mix, like oil and water didn't mix. Then oil over water was OK like oil floats on water (the way they told me I could remember it) BUT not water base on top of oil base. Now, I would have to follow the directions on the can or from additional info by manufacturer as the "old rules" are not strictly correct in all cases.

I can comment from experience on some elements of the job. Make sure everything to be painted is clean and dry AND has "tooth". Wood can be too smooth to hold paint well. Use the best paint you can budget. In the past, to save money, I used to keep an eye on the "OOPS" paint shelves at the BIG stores. This is paint that was custom mixed but not acceptable to the customer so they mark it WAY WAY down. I found that, at my local store, all the oops paint in a general category (latex, acrylic, oil, whatever) sold for the same price, depending on container size not original price. So I bought up a lot of the real good stuff, real cheap, and either used it as primer or diddled with the colors by mixing a little of this and a little of that. I paid $5/gal for $20-$30/gal paint. I promise you, the good (read expensive) paint will brush and spray better, give better coverage, and last better. I also bougt 5 gal buckets of OOPS paint. I repainted my entire house inside and out prior to selling it, with high quality OOPS paint. Working with higher qual paint is a different experience than using the cheap stuff.

I have used cheap white primers that I don't know how many coats would have been required to do a good job because after 5-6 coats I gave up and bought a good primer to coat the cheap primer so I could get on with the pastel color coat over a good even base. It was interior so there is a chance the cheap primer didn't cause problems in later years.

I know you can get lots of advice, probably all well intentioned but some of it will no doubt be ill informed. The rub is, if you had to ask then perhaps you aren't equipped to elliminate the specious comments. In the final analysis, rely on the manufacturer's sugestions and you shouldn't go too far wrong.

I hope you get a good attractive paint job that will weather well and be so long lasting you'll have to ask how to recoat it as the memory of how you did it will have dimmed over time.

Patirck

/ Painting Advice Request
Thanks GolfGar and Patrick
Excellent advice and suggestions. I know my wife - the one with the sense of aesthetics - wants to get this trim up ASAP (and so do I 'cause that will mean the painting part is done) but it sounds like the "Go slowly and get the job done faster" applies in spades on a project like this.

I think I'll start with the oldest (hopefully most experienced) small paint store in town and combine their advice with the manufacturer's recommendations. As the trim won't be available for a week or so, I do have some time for advance planning - but what about those gardens, and the grass, and the rest of that spring stuff .... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

Bob

/ Painting Advice Request #5  
I am no master painter but everyone has told me the same thing. You get the longest lasting results with an oil based primer followed by a latex finish coat.

Also, it is "usually" better to prime the trim before you install it. That way you get a good coat of paint (primer) on all parts of the trim, even those parts you won't be able to get to after you install it.