Paint your chains!

/ Paint your chains! #21  
I put a couple of high-strength magnets on the metal fenders of my Kubota so when I pulled hitch pins for changing implements, I could just toss them up on the fender anywhere within about 6 inches and they would stick.

/ Paint your chains! #22  
Wednesday I lost chains pulling posts so today (after wasting a couple hours looking) I painted them. Every 2ft or so alternate chrome, fluorescent red, yellow. Won't be hard to find now!View attachment 580160View attachment 580161

A few years ago I lost a new chain, bright and shiny. Used it once to pull a log not over 50 ft out into a field. Haven't found that 'easy to spot" chain since.

/ Paint your chains! #23  
A few years ago I lost a new chain, bright and shiny. Used it once to pull a log not over 50 ft out into a field. Haven't found that 'easy to spot" chain since.

I was hauling ground tree branches a few years back, and using it as compost in the garden and around the fruit trees,,
The wood had been processed through a 650 horsepower "tub" grinder,,

When I dumped one load, I spotted something,, it was a 3/8" chain that had to be 30 feet long, with hooks on both ends,,

It was quite rusty, and it needed 4 hours in my tumbler, but, it came out perfect,,,

I would have thought that it could not have made it through the tub grinder,,
and. maybe it didn't, it might have just been "lost",,

Anyways, I got a great chain,,, I painted it silver,,,

/ Paint your chains! #24  
A while back I did my chains, it's amazing how well they can chameleon into grass or dirt, or a tree branch they were hung in "so they won't get lost" in their natural state.
I had part of a can of florescent pink, which doesn't appear anywhere in nature. Not very durable, but incredibly garish.

100_0925.jpg

/ Paint your chains! #25  
I put a couple of high-strength magnets on the metal fenders of my Kubota so when I pulled hitch pins for changing implements, I could just toss them up on the fender anywhere within about 6 inches and they would stick.

That would be a good idea, I may toss a magnet out back to hold pins.

I pull with orange or yellow rope, 1300 lb test. My log chain I’ll wrap around my hitch/receiver to hook the rope to. Would definitely paint if I used a longer chain.

Need to run around property with a magnet like mentioned, I’ve mowed up barbed wire on several occasions. :mad:

/ Paint your chains! #26  
   / Paint your chains! #27  
Years ago I was doing some plowing on my buddy's acreage with my John Deere "R" and a Case 5 bottom plow and somehow my wallet worked it's way out of my pants pocket. Surprisingly, I found it again by walking the field where I had plowed. I also lost a crowbar in that same field and that one I found with a metal detector I borrowed from work. That was buried so I would never have found it without the metal detector. We also made a proper carrying fixture for the crowbar that same day.

We also have a couple of very strong magnets that we've used to pick up stuff dropped in deep grass. These magnets were used to hold the man ladders on the inside of wind towers so as you can imagine, they are VERY strong and measure 8" x 2 1/4" x 1" with a single threaded 12 mm attachment stud sticking up in the middle.

My buddy is in the habit of tossing his chains in the bucket of the FEL and one day he went to use them and remembered that he had filled a very big and deep hole in the yard the last time he used the FEL and realized he had left the chains in the bucket! They are well and truly buried some place in that hole...

/ Paint your chains! #28  
I have a couple of these rectangular magnets on the quick hitch. Very handy.

QHmagnet.JPG

Bruce

/ Paint your chains! #30  
A couple years ago I was cutting a tree on the edge of a hayfield. I stopped to change the chain and I dropped the nuts that hold the bar on into the hayfield. They vanished immediately. I went to the local repair shop and they said they were special nuts, have to be ordered from the manufacturer. I bought a cheap metal detector on Amazon for $50 and found them in a few minutes.

I don't always find what I'm looking for but it's paid for itself many times over.

Yes I just picked up this junk from along the old fence line with a magnet. We'll go over it several more times again.

Years ago I bought a nice Whites metal detector. I found Dad's wedding ring he lost. Across the road I was demonstrating it to my farmer friend and thought we found a treasure chest in his front yard! Digging down two feet or so there was about 20 sections of tin roofing someone had buried years ago.View attachment 580162

A metal detector has saved my bacon many times and is something we should all have. Years ago a lost part in the grass could mean an hour of searching. Today, a minute with a metal detector and I'm back in business. Nothing ever gets lost and occasionally I find some long forgotten vital part. Get a metal detector and also get a magnetized small work tray from Harbor Freight to put parts in before you lose them.