Packing for a trip

/ Packing for a trip #21  
It's taking out the Kitchen Sink that makes for a real pain! And then reinstalling when you get home!

Duffle bag is good as well as a backpack. If it gets too heavy it's gotta stay home.

/ Packing for a trip #22  
No offense, but why do 2 people need so many electronic gadgets for a one-week trip? Sounds like Ginger on Gilligan's Island with a couple dozen evening gowns for a 3 hour boat tour. You mentioned grandchildren so you're clearly not some millennial who'd break into hives if they can't check their facebook page every 15 minutes. 3 tablets plus an e-book reader??? Really?

The SS Minnow was taking everyone to a resort owned by Mr. Howell. It was a one-way ride to a vacation destination.... (no one knows, for sure. it was never mentioned in the show).

http://www.bobdenver.com/fun-facts/

/ Packing for a trip #23  
We have a rental cottage that we rent out on a weekly basis in the summer up in "Gods Country", 2 1/2 hours north of Toronto.

I mean, it is on a big lake way up near Algonquin Park, with 25 acres, and lots of nature. At first we gave renters a nice TV with DVD player and lots of movies, but then it was demands for satellite TV, then phone service, (which I suppose is reasonable), but now it is demands for Wi-Fi!

Oh, well, as long as our rates keep going up, and we are still fully booked each season....

/ Packing for a trip
No offense, but why do 2 people need so many electronic gadgets for a one-week trip? Sounds like Ginger on Gilligan's Island with a couple dozen evening gowns for a 3 hour boat tour. You mentioned grandchildren so you're clearly not some millennial who'd break into hives if they can't check their facebook page every 15 minutes. 3 tablets plus an e-book reader??? Really?

Well the I-phones are for communication. My mother is 92 and her dad is 90 so we call each one at least once a day. Both are very active for somebody ten years younger than they actually are but still... They are also used when shopping, she calls and wakes me up and I pick her up at the door. Or we get separated in a mall or store while she is shopping and I'm sitting eyeing the uuhhh....scenery. The I-pads are for navigation and books. We are in our sixties and don't go out line dancing or bar hopping every night. So we download books to read. The Nook actually got destroyed last year at Gulf Shores, one wave made it up to where we were sitting just as she put it down to move her chair. That was put in the post to irritate her (LOL). She also left the big IPad at home. So I had an extra charger. The Fitbits are new and we are just seeing how they work. Simply put the electronics make life easier. Want to eat at an Irish Pub, just have her do a search while I drive and check the ratings and menu, see that they have ribeye sandwiches as a special on Thursdays and get directions. Our SUV navigation system works easier when you put in the places phone number instead of the address. Numbers a lot easier to input.

Anyway, we had the room and carried more than we needed.

Oh yeah, took the seven, nearly eight, year old granddaughter to a Nashville Predators hockey game and she loved it. So I guess that will be another family tradition. Disney trip as fourth Christmas gift. Hockey trip at seven. One down and at least three more grands for each. Lots of fun.

RSKY

/ Packing for a trip #25  
IRT laundry: I have found that if staying a hotel while on vacation or business trip, in house laundry service is just about as high as buying new clothes (normal clothes, not designer stuff). I hate for even the company to pay for such extravagance but I have done it on long stay overs.

Unless you search for and find a DIY laundromat, then it is hard to justify laundry especially if the cost is coming directly out of your pocket. On the other hand, if you are flying to a destination, unless you fly Business First Class you are really limited in luggage weight so you cant take a lot of weight with you.
I kind of like the Jack Reacher (everyone read the books or saw the movie?, they are very good) just wear one suit of clothes, when dirty, throw them away or Goodwill them and buy new cheap stuff.

If driving, you are only limited by space not so much weight so take as much as you like so you don't have to worry about clean clothes to wear.

/ Packing for a trip #26  
My wife and I did a 12 day cruise, plus a week sight seeing before the cruise and a few days after the cruise. We each carried one carry on bag. No jackets, no extra shoes. One pair of pants and a light jacket each. The rest was shorts and t shirt. We did laundry twice on the ship during out at sea days. Just having the one carry on bag made a huge difference in getting around. No stress at all!!!

/ Packing for a trip #27  
Wouldn't it be something if people just talked to each other in person instead of needing all those electronic gizmos and plugs??? Just sayin!

NO. Please don't sit next to me on a plane... I'm frazzled enough, and barely fit to interact with society in general; so, excuse me while I put on my Bose noise cancelling headphones. :D