PA160 STH unboxing!

/ PA160 STH unboxing! #111  
I have been half tempted to hold two rods together and feed them at the same time, essentially making a 1/8" filler, but I just try stabbing the 1/16" in faster instead.

Joshua the best Tig weldor I was ever around, I think he could Tig weld faster than I could stick weld! I seen him take two filler rods, place the ends in a vice, chuck the other ends in a drill motor, and spin the rods over each other to make one rod. Worked great for him!;)

/ PA160 STH unboxing! #112  
Shield Arc said:
Joshua the best Tig weldor I was ever around, I think he could Tig weld faster than I could stick weld! I seen him take two filler rods, place the ends in a vice, chuck the other ends in a drill motor, and spin the rods over each other to make one rod. Worked great for him!;)

I've done that with mig wire for tig use. Not as stiff as I would like, but it works.

/ PA160 STH unboxing! #114  
Yep. You are right. Short hoods weld differently than long hood red faces, and well anything with an octagon barrel won't weld any thing like the other two, but still plenty of them in use.

As far as the 125 amp stick thing. The spec for the US is indeed 160 amp on stick. We contacted the factory to verify to find out where the confusion was. We received some units that were built with a build card for one of our other distributors located in another country on this side of the pond. The main difference is the addition of a resistor on the top board. Everything seems to be the same. For the US, the resistor is left out. That's what happened. Contacted Joshua and almost quicker than you can say "vasectomy" we snipped it out.(well maybe a little longer than that) Now it's up to full power. It's sort of isolated in its position and easy to identify. If anyone else has received one with only 125 amps output, let me know. It's an easy walk through.

Hi Mark,

I received an Everast 160 sth this week with the 125 amp on stick issue. Can you please email me with a solution. With pictures included would be great. I need to get this fixed because I don't want to have to send the unit back for an exchange.

I did leave a message on your voice mail yesterday but have not heard from you so email will be fine.

/ PA160 STH unboxing! #115  
Hi Joshua,

I left the following message for Mark. If you can help me with this it would be appreciated.

I received an Everast 160 sth this week with the 125 amp on stick issue. Can you please email me with a solution. With pictures included would be great. I need to get this fixed because I don't want to have to send the unit back for an exchange.

I did leave a message on your voice mail yesterday but have not heard from you so email will be fine.

/ PA160 STH unboxing! #116  
It's easily done. I took yesterday afternoon off. These days I generally don't work with tech support unless it was a customer I sold to...but I'll still be glad to help in this case. It is better and more quickly done over the phone, than email. Safer that way too. All units sold through me or sold directly through Everlast should be corrected in the last couple months. Give me a call again tomorrow. Have the welder close, and a small wire snipper in your hand. Remove the rear cover and the metal cover first before you call, AFTER you have unplugged it and waited 15 minutes for the caps to discharge. Did you buy it from Amazon?

/ PA160 STH unboxing! #117  
It's easily done. I took yesterday afternoon off. These days I generally don't work with tech support unless it was a customer I sold to...but I'll still be glad to help in this case. It is better and more quickly done over the phone, than email. Safer that way too. All units sold through me or sold directly through Everlast should be corrected in the last couple months. Give me a call again tomorrow. Have the welder close, and a small wire snipper in your hand. Remove the rear cover and the metal cover first before you call, AFTER you have unplugged it and waited 15 minutes for the caps to discharge. Did you buy it from Amazon?

Yes I did buy from Amazon. I will call tomorrow with the unit open. Thanks for the reply Mark. BTW, where are you located so that I know what time zone I am calling to?

/ PA160 STH unboxing!
A small update for y'all, just for fun. Here's some lap joint work I did today. I was at about 100-110 amps max pedal. For simplicity, I used a lay-wire technique and tried to focus on torch angle and travel speed/consistency. Other settings were: 3/32" 2% lanthanated (blue) electrode, 1/16" and 3/32" filler, but mostly 1/16" as the 3/32" was really too much. About 5-6 lpm of gas, which I think was a bit too low, as I got some porosity on the back side--but there may have been contaminants, as there was also a little boiling and sputtering. Metal was 1/8" mild steel.

2013-08-06 13.31.31.jpg

2013-08-06 13.44.08.jpg

2013-08-06 13.31.18.jpg

Here's my current setup.

2013-08-06 13.33.03.jpg

/ PA160 STH unboxing! #120  
Could use a bit more gas, unless you were using a very small cup.

And could use more filler. Some times one size of filler is too small, and the next bigger is too big for using lay wire technique. Time to start to learn to feed wire.

Have you wached all the TIG videos from www.weldingtipsandtricks.com
They are very good.