Oxy regulator blew up today

/ Oxy regulator blew up today #1  

muddstopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ventrac, Steiner
Had a little project to do today and needed a little heat. Turned on the tanks and was just getting ready to strike a flame and heard a little pop and air blowing. Oxy hose had blew a hole. Hose looked like it had a small burn spot in it and since these hoses are about 10-12 years old, I figured it was time for new hoses. Little trip to TSC and came home and hooked up the new hoses. turned tanks back on and saw the pressure regulator run up to 160psi, What!!! Then air blew out in regulator. Regulator is the large commercial Victors I have owned for close to 40 years. I had them rebuilt about 20 years ago. I had noticed that the torch didnt seem to be cutting right for a while and couldnt figure it out. Now I am suspecting the regulator might have been screwing with my air supply. Anyways I took the Linde regulator off my other set of bottles and hooked it to my torch. Torch cut just fine after regulator swap. Looks like a trip to the welding supply to have my Old Victor rebuilt one more time. I am just hopeing they can still rebuild something as old as these are.

/ Oxy regulator blew up today #3  
How do you shut down your tanks and regulators when you are done using them?
Dave

/ Oxy regulator blew up today #4  
How do you shut down your tanks and regulators when you are done using them?
Dave

I was thinking the same thing.

If you open the tank valve with the regulator not backed out all the way, you can bust the diaphram in the regulator. And you should try your best to open the tank valve slowly.

Last edited:
   / Oxy regulator blew up today
I usually shut off the tanks and bleed the lines. I dont always screw out the regulator t-handle. Know i should, but have to be honest. Turning on the bottle, it usually just a slow turn of the handle to crack open the valve and then opening all the way. Had a buddy lose a hand turning on his bottles years ago, and that image stays in my mind when I turn on the oxy bottle. I think after about 20years since the last rebuild, Its probably more due to age than anything else.

/ Oxy regulator blew up today #6  
Unscrew the bonnet and clean the needle and seat. Inspect diaphragm for a hole. ( may have dry rotted ) If it's the large Victors, They should have Stainless diaphragms.. Do not use any lube of any kind. Nothing to lose.

/ Oxy regulator blew up today
Regulator is a sd450D. I know rebuild kits are available for around $30 or so. Just not sure I want to be the one to rebuild it. I would think the internals would be pretty simple, but still, I dont want to be the one that you read about in the news because I missed something important during the rebuild. I think I will just send it off and let someone that knows do the inspection.