Oxy/act torch leak

/ Oxy/act torch leak #1  

reb

Veteran Member
Tractor
YM1500D
Not sure this is the appropriate forum for this question. A glance at previous posts indicates there are a number of welders to be found here. I had bookmarked a welding forum on countrybynet some time back, but it apparently doesn't exist anymore.
Anyway, I find my oxy/act torch leaks at the junction of the tip and the mixer. Changing tips doesn't seem to fix it. The seal there is metal-to-metal, no o-ring. Is there an easy fix, or am I going to have to replace the mixer?
thanx.

/ Oxy/act torch leak #2  
You can have the local welding supply rebuild the torch im not sure what all they have to do to your model or brand of torch. Its not expensive about 25 dollars here. I have a friend that used to rebuild his own torches Ill see if he knows about your can you tell me the brand and the model.

/ Oxy/act torch leak #3  
You can lap the new tip in with some fine lapping compound and an electric drill.

/ Oxy/act torch leak
The torch is a Harris, model 19-2 handle. I don't know how old it is. One website I looked at lists a 19-6 or 7, which is similar. None of the mixers listed look like mine. The handle (with the valves) works fine. It appears the tips don't seal tightly in the mixer.

/ Oxy/act torch leak
Thanks, Jim. That sounds reasonable. The thing is, I suspect the surface inside the mixer, where the tip seats, could need resurfacing. Two different tips leaked. I'm not sure how to go about repairing the mixer. It might be more cost effective to replace it, if I can locate one. Is there by chance some compound that could be used to seal the joint? Just curiosity--do other brands use a different sealing technique for the tips?

/ Oxy/act torch leak #6  
How about an o-ring between the tip and mixer? My tips on my old set of torches use o-rings on the tip. But they are farther down where it goes into the body. I think that some valve grinding compound will fix your problem real quickly. Just don't go crazy with the polishing. Brass comes off really quick.

/ Oxy/act torch leak
The manufacturer did not use o-rings between the tip and mixer. I figured there was a heat consideration. If it works for other torches, perhaps I can fit one into this torch. Assuming I can't find a way to polish the inside of the mixer, as you suggest. Thanks.

/ Oxy/act torch leak #8  
Interesting...Ive never seen a torch w/o o-rings between the tip and body. This is very common and Im surprised yours isnt fitted that way. At any rate Id take it in to the local welding supply place and have them take a look.

/ Oxy/act torch leak #9  
Is this a Cutting head or a welding head ? I am assuming you are talking about a cutting head and the tip that goes on it. If this is the case, yes you need to resurface the seat in the cutting head. Get a welding shop to do it, be safe /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Oxy/act torch leak
No, this is the welding head. Resurfacing at the bottom of the threads in the mixer looks to be a challenge