Overheating/bear to start

/ Overheating/bear to start #1  

wep0520

Tractor
1947 John Deere B
I bought my satoh beaver end of november. Only had it running a few times. Had the injector pump and injectors rebuilt. Will not start below 50 even with the new block heater. When I am able to get it running it will overheat under load. Will idle fine but start driving and 5 mins it's blowing out the overflow. Pulled the rad cap off when its cold and there is bubbles popping up in the radiator which tells me I have a blown head gasket. Will that cause hard starting or should I start looking at rings?

/ Overheating/bear to start #2  
It very well is why you have problems starting. A blown head gasket between the 2 cylinders is allowing your compression to swap between the other cylinder without compression Making it difficult to start under normal conditions let alone cooler temps.

/ Overheating/bear to start #3  
If air is escaping from the cylinder, via a leaking head gasket, then, yeah the compression will be down on the effected cylinders and since it is the heat of compression that ignites the fuel, it will be difficult to start. Run a compression check to find out the condition of the cylinder with the leaking head gasket. It will be the lowest unless the leak is between cylinders. In that case two adjacent cylinders will be low in pressure. If you are lucky the remaining cylinder(s) will give you an indication of the ring condition. If it won't start with a good block heater below 50F, it's likely to need rings but until you fix the head gasket issue you won't be sure.
I'd pull the head and replace the head gasket, have the head checked for cracks and if it's good, put it back together with a new head gasket and do a compression check.

/ Overheating/bear to start #4  
If air is escaping from the cylinder, via a leaking head gasket, then, yeah the compression will be down on the effected cylinders and since it is the heat of compression that ignites the fuel, it will be difficult to start. Run a compression check to find out the condition of the cylinder with the leaking head gasket. It will be the lowest unless the leak is between cylinders. In that case two adjacent cylinders will be low in pressure. If you are lucky the remaining cylinder(s) will give you an indication of the ring condition. If it won't start with a good block heater below 50F, it's likely to need rings but until you fix the head gasket issue you won't be sure.
I'd pull the head and replace the head gasket, have the head checked for cracks and if it's good, put it back together with a new head gasket and do a compression check.
Jerry/MT, only two cylinders on this engine

/ Overheating/bear to start #5  
Jerry/MT, only two cylinders on this engine
Thanks for the info TractorTech.

That makes it easier. Pull the head, check for cracks, replace head gasket and then check compression. If you have to do the rings you are only out the head gasket and the time.

/ Overheating/bear to start #6  
Thanks for the info TractorTech.

That makes it easier. Pull the head, check for cracks, replace head gasket and then check compression. If you have to do the rings you are only out the head gasket and the time.
Hi,
That's good logic. I had similar situation on a Briggs recently. The head gasket is an easier check and replace than rings. I'd go there again first.

/ Overheating/bear to start #7  
If you have bubbles in the radiator, it not the rings or the valves losing compression. If you see bubbles in the radiator, and have hard starting, leaking head gasket or cracked head. Sounds like it's leaking out to the side and getting in the water. I don't think it's cracked between an intake valve on one cylinder to an exhaust valve on other cylinder. It wouldn't start at all. Get a torque wrench and check tightness of head bolts before you start to remove them.