Outrageous Chicken Coops

/ Outrageous Chicken Coops #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
carolinacoops.com

On Fox news this morning. 5, 8 , 20 thousand dollar backyard chicken coops to save money on eggs 🤣 🤣

We don't even save money on eggs without spending that kind of money on a coop. The feed makes it about a wash.

/ Outrageous Chicken Coops #2  
My coop was build from crap I found laying about the place when I bought, much is parts from a hang glider...

/ Outrageous Chicken Coops #3  
My coop was build from crap I found laying about the place when I bought, much is parts from a hang glider...
The way it should be.
If I had the money to buy one of those coops, I would turn into a She-Shed for my wife!

/ Outrageous Chicken Coops #5  
Wow, $4-5-6k for a simple coop too... Goes to show you that lots of people have lots of money to spend! Our rural area is now priced out of average incomes, so the people with room for chickens also have lots of money for nice looking coop.
We have a few local guys that have a sawmill and noticed that the lumber isn't selling, but if you whack it into a shed or coop or gazebo, they can charge 20 times as much for the wood...

/ Outrageous Chicken Coops #6  
carolinacoops.com

On Fox news this morning. 5, 8 , 20 thousand dollar backyard chicken coops to save money on eggs 🤣 🤣

We don't even save money on eggs without spending that kind of money on a coop. The feed makes it about a wash.
it's the write-offs that pay off in the long run, but that is not for the back yards with 6 hens
my coop / run is all scraps ... practically free. bought feeders, water cans

then there is this one :) ...

/ Outrageous Chicken Coops #7  
I don't even want to think of what I've spent on my coops, or what the "real" cost of my eggs are!!!! During the lockdown, it hit me that having eggs to barter with made it all worthwhile. It's not about the money, it's all about having a reliable source of food for ourselves, and something that other people will trade for. My long term goal is to double the size of my coop, increase the number of chickens, and create a dedicated garden to grow food for the chickens. Until then, I need to figure out how to buy bulk feed, and hopefully save some money that way.

/ Outrageous Chicken Coops
I don't even want to think of what I've spent on my coops, or what the "real" cost of my eggs are!!!! During the lockdown, it hit me that having eggs to barter with made it all worthwhile. It's not about the money, it's all about having a reliable source of food for ourselves, and something that other people will trade for. My long term goal is to double the size of my coop, increase the number of chickens, and create a dedicated garden to grow food for the chickens. Until then, I need to figure out how to buy bulk feed, and hopefully save some money that way.
Many years ago there was an awesome sale on 50# bags of corn and we had about 2 dozen chickens. I bought a pickup truck full and since I don't use the truck much I just left it in there under the truck cap. Evidently the squirrels could smell it a mile away and proceeded to attack my truck's wiring constantly doing a couple thousand dollars worth of damage to it. They never got to the corn but that was the most expensive feed I ever bought 😩

/ Outrageous Chicken Coops #9  
I get a charge out of the coops at places like Tractor Supply. I wonder how long before they have that small area all scratched out... :D I have a 6x 10 foot coop. The lumber is hemlock from a tree which I cut and had my neighbors saw years ago. The windows and door were in my father's barn, it's covered with various colored and sized pieces of metal roofing which I picked up over the course of several years.
They had a 12x20 foot area to scratch in but I only have a few birds left so much of it is being converted to garden space. I planted rhubarb last weekend, and have enough asparagus coming to fill the area.

/ Outrageous Chicken Coops #10  
Speaking of chicken coops, I've got a question.
My SIN acquired a plastic water tank, 95" diameter, 90" to the beginning of the top taper 105" overall height so it's a good size tank. The daughter wants it to make a chicken coop, I'll cut a door it it, put in a screen and it already has a 18" diameter opening in the top so it'll have natural draft....I hope. She figures it'll be easy to clean being plastic so nothing to rot or hold moisture. A garden hose should keep it clean with an occasional rinse out.
My question, what say people about it frosting up on the inside and dripping in the winter from condensation forming on the cold walls. I'm thinking it's going to be a problem?