Outdoor wood furnace

/ Outdoor wood furnace #11  
Central Boiler

KC,
I am am on my fifth season with the smallest Version of Central Boiler (CL 140 I think) with forced air transfer. I would like to bounce a couple of items off you - first is wood consumption:

I have a 2200 SQ FT - single story ranch with full basement that we keep at 70 and also a 2 1/2 car garage that I keep at just above 50. I have a thermo - water heater pipe and 240 gallon storage in the basement as well. I seem to use one filling of good hard wood when it is 20-40 degrees. 1 1/2 fillings during 0-20 degrees and 2 fillings when it is minus 10-20. Of course, these fillings are to keep the tempature up and ease of just throwing the wood in and not worring about it starting to burn. Partly rotted wood or soft wood requires more frequent fills. Is this consumptions consistent with yours or others you know?

I used an industrial flexible hose for water transfer and in the gound I put this hose in PVC pipe and then had two layers of R5 siding insulation around it. Where the pipe leave the boiler and is buried in the ground less than three feet, the snow on top is the first to melt in the spring. Do you have any noticable early snow melt in your transfer line? Do you think this is worth worrying about?

I have a 1150 SQ FT shed that I am building and have plans on putting a heated floor in it. Have you seen anyone have a secondary building with floor heat and the primary with forced air. I was wondering if I should put a thermo - pipe from my boiler on a water heater and treat the shed as independant system? Many that install floor systems claim that you don't want oxygen in the system.

Thanks for your thoughts and Merry Christmas!

/ Outdoor wood furnace #12  
Henry,
I installed an adjustable tempering valve to prevent scalding waterand we love it. $40 - 70 and and afternoon and it works like a charm.

/ Outdoor wood furnace #13  
Re: Central Boiler

Marty, I usually put wood in mine twice daily and just vary the amount depending on the temp outside and then let it burn down good on saturday. Yes it uses a little more wood than I thought it would but I think the house has some heat loss issues that I need to address. The melted snow would indicate heat loss and I feel that any heat that could be saved for the house is a good thing but by the time you figure the cost and labor to redo it you may think otherwise. I'm sorry but I can't help you on your question about primary and secondary buildings but would like to know the answer also.

Kevin

/ Outdoor wood furnace #14  
<font color=blue>I installed an adjustable tempering valve </font color=blue>

Hmmm... Is it anything more than an extra valve to mix-in some cold water? I'm curious...

Thanks,
Henry

/ Outdoor wood furnace #15  
Henry,

The device mixes in cold water with a thermal valve which is adjustable. You do not need to build a bypass as I did in the attached picture.