Outdoor Hydrant Maintenance

/ Outdoor Hydrant Maintenance #1  

legbuh

Silver Member
I've been noticing my outdoor hydrant is getting harder to open when it gets cold. I have all the joints lubed, the shaft, etc, but I'm wondering if there is a way to lubricate the plunger down in the bottom of the hydrant.

I know it's lubed when installed, but it's been probably 15 years now. Just wondering if there's anything I can pour down to lubricate it. Haven't found much online. :)

/ Outdoor Hydrant Maintenance #2  
I've been noticing my outdoor hydrant is getting harder to open when it gets cold. I have all the joints lubed, the shaft, etc, but I'm wondering if there is a way to lubricate the plunger down in the bottom of the hydrant.

I know it's lubed when installed, but it's been probably 15 years now. Just wondering if there's anything I can pour down to lubricate it. Haven't found much online. :)
Take it apart and replace the components. Shouldn’t have the be lubed. Most hydrants replacement parts are ~$20 for everything.

/ Outdoor Hydrant Maintenance #3  
It's the result of metal contracting. Overtightening packing nut on new hydrant has the same effect.

/ Outdoor Hydrant Maintenance
Take it apart and replace the components. Shouldn’t have the be lubed. Most hydrants replacement parts are ~$20 for everything.
Ya, that means hiring it out to someone that can shut off the curbstop from the well.

Oh well, should be cheap. I was thinking of dumping some marvel mystery oil down there to soak for a week then flushing it..haha.

It's the result of metal contracting. Overtightening packing nut on new hydrant has the same effect.
I'd guess its more than that as it didn't start happening until at least 10 years after install.

/ Outdoor Hydrant Maintenance #6  
Just did mine after 15 years. It was getting pretty hard to operate. I polished alot of green oxidation off the brass rod at the top where the seal is. Greased it up with silicone dialectic grease. Well see at -35c latter in the winter.

Just did mine after 15 years. It was getting pretty hard to operate. I polished alot of green oxidation off the brass rod at the top where the seal is. Greased it up with silicone dialectic grease. Well see at -35c latter in the winter.
You did yours as in replaced the plunger?

/ Outdoor Hydrant Maintenance #8  
You did yours as in replaced the plunger?
That was my plan but after disassembly, I discovered that the valve at the bottom was entirely brass so I just gave it a serious cleaning and polish. The rubber seal in the nut at the top was replaced.

I unscrewed the top handel portion from the pipe and the rod and main part of the valve came up easily. The bottom valve is replaceable on my model (Crane)

It's a super warm winter here so far so I am not sure how successful my job is yet.

/ Outdoor Hydrant Maintenance #9  
Here's another repair tip. Last spring one of my hydrants wouldn't turn on. Lift the handle and nothing happened. Mentioned it to my neighbour and he made a suggestion. With the handle in the down position, hold the pipe steady with a pipe wrench and then loosen the handle 1/4 turn on the threads. Then retighten the handle and when I tried it again, everything worked properly. He didn't know the reason why this worked, just something he'd seen before. Been working fine since, and I don't know why.

/ Outdoor Hydrant Maintenance #10  
My neighbor ran a line out to a hydrant to water his cows. Although it gets plenty cold here - freezing was not his problem. Cows kept rubbing on the hydrant and breaking it off - down below ground.

He finally got the idea and installed a " guard" around the hydrant. Problem solved.