Outdoor burning laws

/ Outdoor burning laws #121  
With all the finger joints and glue lams in today’s construction lumber it does not surprise me more localities would outlaw burning them.

Last year a new addition was built across from me and it seems like there is a finger joint every foot or so in 2x material

/ Outdoor burning laws #122  
With all the finger joints and glue lams in today’s construction lumber it does not surprise me more localities would outlaw burning them.

Last year a new addition was built across from me and it seems like there is a finger joint every foot or so in 2x material
I am gonna hijack this thread. Sorry(not).Back in the early 80s I had a friend that worked at a place that made garage doors. They had a couple finger joint lines that would (wood?) basically make endless lengths of wood. For whatever reason the shortest pieces of wood that could be processed were about 14 inches long. So all the short pieces were given away to employees. My friend didn't burn wood for heat but I did. So several cords of short lengths of kiln dried soft and maybe some hard woods made it to my house for heat. I was really impressed with the operation. I was given a tour of a finger jointing line. Lengths of wood would be fed into the machine continuously. Any part of any length that was not straight enough would be cut out. Then the ends of the pieces of wood got finger jointed, then glue was applied, then the pieces would be pressed together, and finally the glued finger joint would be cured with microwaves. And the wood moved constantly through the machine. All cutting, finger jointing, glueing, pressing together, and glue curing was done with the wood in constant motion. All the wood processed arrived at the factory as random lengths of dimensional lumber. It was all milled to size. I don't know why some sections were so curved that they were unusable, but I saw some myself. Maybe after milling to size the wood warped. The finger jointing machine also detected defects like knots and cracks and cut them out. Much of the wood I got was warped or had knots. I was and am still impressed by this very efficient use of wood. The finger joints were stronger than the wood.
Eric

/ Outdoor burning laws #123  
About the Emerald Ash Borer and issues concerning transporting wood...what do the loggers do about transporting logs to the mills?

/ Outdoor burning laws #124  
Not sure...I saw a guy at Dollar General the other night with 3-4 ~10-12' pine trunks in the bed of his pickup. Smuggling?

Maybe that's how they transport the Ash.

What's left when they uproot the trees?

Ash holes.

/ Outdoor burning laws #126  
I just broke in two an old piece of door brick molding. It broke at the finger joint.
I'm sure that's true, however your sample of one has means nothing compared to the operation I saw. Who knows who did the finger joint you broke? Do you? If I was you I would never trust a finger joint again. Even one you did yourself. That way you will be happy that there are no finger joints in your constructions that may break before the surrounding wood.
Eric

/ Outdoor burning laws #127  
In the county my property is at there is a burn ban from May 1st until October 1st. It is a summer air quality thing. I have a couple good piles to burn this winter.

On the subject of moving wood, I get it and I try not to do it. Normally we camp in close proximity to the national forest so I bring my chainsaw and drive up into the forest and harvest enough for our stay. There is usually some left for the next group.

/ Outdoor burning laws #128  
Finger joints are defiantly not stronger than wood. I think your getting finger jointed confused with laminated. Laminated wood is much stronger than regular wood.

/ Outdoor burning laws #129  
Finger joints are defiantly not stronger than wood. I think you're getting finger jointed confused with laminated. Laminated wood is much stronger than regular wood.

I can't speak to homemade finger joints, but for commercially made ones, there is quite a bit of data that they are much stronger than stick lumber, in part because they are defect free.

This quotes a strength increase of 60%;

All the best,

Peter

/ Outdoor burning laws #130  
I burn in the winter - if needed. Always a concern for late summer/fall wildfires. I have created a rather large pit. I pile dead trees and limbs there. Mostly stuff that has died from Pine Bark beetle. I only burn trees - nothing else.

I live on my 80 acres - out in the middle of thousands of acres of range land.
I love to burn with snow on the ground. Don't get to do that very often in Texas outside of the Panhandle.