Our trail head kiosk build.

/ Our trail head kiosk build. #1  

ArlyA

Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
As promised, here is the simple kiosk we are building. Note, this is very simple and made for stapling notices onto. This photo is close to what it will look like. Hopefully anyway! We have built these in the past and have an idea as to what works.
Trailhead-Kiosk.jpg

/ Our trail head kiosk build.
Here is the roof under construction. That is a 2x2 at the top and 2x4's at the bottom corners with a 45 degree trimmed off. All these are glued and screwed on. The material is 3/4 plywood which as cheaper than the 1/2 and 5/8 was. Go figure! The idea was to make it tough enough to take some serious limb strikes. The pieces are 4ft long, so as to reduce cuts.
P1020455.jpg

This is the base of the roof with some vent holes already cut into it. That's a 2x10's at each end so there is something to attach it on with.
P1020454.jpg

Its bottom after it was done. The ends were caped with 3/4 plywood triangular pieces.
The reason in looks wet was because I coated the whole thing with some good deck preservative before the tin was added.
P1020495.jpg

Side view. This is all 10" fascia, its covered with. This worked so well, I'd use it again! (y)
P1020497.jpg

More to follow.

Last edited:
   / Our trail head kiosk build. #3  
Very similar to what we have in CO. Very nice.

Here is the base. The plywood is 3ft tall and something like 32 wide so the roof is X inches wider and well over the sides.. Everything has been coated with some stain-sealer-preservative chemical so its brown.. The legs are 4x6's and 12ft long but we might trim some off as its being planted.. The bottom of the sign board we'd like to have 4ft 6in off the ground. Yes this is high, in the summer.
P1020555.jpg

Looking up at the bottom, you can see a 2x6 was added to the lower portion of the plywood sign board. This was kerfed so as to shed rain and debris from it.
P1020556.jpg

These joists will be added as its being assembled in the field, which will hold the roof on, via toe screws.
P1020553.jpg

Clear as mud?? :LOL: We plan to dig holes and plant it, over the weekend

Last edited:
   / Our trail head kiosk build. #5  
So when your trails are groomed and at their peak, how deep is the snow on that compacted base?
(I noticed that your kiosk has very tall legs - but if the information was 4' off the ground in the summer, I'm guessing you would have to be on your knees to read it in the winter 🙃 )

So when your trails are groomed and at their peak, how deep is the snow on that compacted base?
(I noticed that your kiosk has very tall legs - but if the information was 4' off the ground in the summer, I'm guessing you would have to be on your knees to read it in the winter 🙃 )
The bottom of the sign board we'll have about 4ft 6in off the ground. This will seem tall over the summer, yet low or close to normal, over the winter.. This gate is about 4ft off the ground and this kiosk will be to its immediate left. We will be trimming off some of the legs when its planted.
boundrayroadgate713.jpg

As seen at the Boundary road trail head this morning. :giggle: More pics to follow.
P1020607.jpg

/ Our trail head kiosk build. #8  
Looks good.

More shots from today. I'd now say the roof could have been a tad closer to the sign board
P1020594.jpg
P1020590.jpg
P1020598.jpg
P1020613.jpg

Last edited: