OUCH!!

/ OUCH!! #2  
I have long hair and it hurt me to even read that. Ouch doesn't even come close to what they probably felt. Thanks for posting this. It's another good reminder of how dangerous ag equipment can be. Be carefull and watch your ponytail. :)

/ OUCH!! #3  
I remember a friend who was a foreman at the highway department where I worked who had a farm on the side. He, and another guy, were bailing hay and something happened and they lay down under the thing someway and were pushing with their feet. At any rate it started spinning and pulled one of the guy's right through the baler. The man that was the foreman said he would never forget the sight of the man being pulled to his death. Folks, we all do things that are careless. It would be good to evaluate our situation when we are working with safety in mind.
Sometimes something as simple as fastening the seat belt may mean the difference whether we live or die.

/ OUCH!! #4  
An old farmer down the road from me (now dead) reached into his baler and got his right hand caught in it. It took all the skin off the back of his hand. The depth of skin removed and the amount of skin removed (and the location) would not allow for typical skin grafts. So, they actually stuck that hand under the skin of his upper abdomen and left it thay way for a number of weeks. Then, they removed his hand from the abdomen and took the abdominal skin with it and then closed the abdominal skin wound normally. Worked great but he was in the hospital a long time and it was a miserable experience, needless to say.

/ OUCH!! #5  
Afternoon Krumpsbrother,
Horrible story !

Always disengage the PTO when dismounting tractor !

/ OUCH!! #6  
Many years ago, my high school ag teacher who taught farm safety was hit by a train while crossing the tracks on a tractor... survived. Later, his legs were torn off in a corn picker accident.

mark

/ OUCH!! #8  
On another ag site, i read about a boy who got stuck in the clod separator of a potato digger. The machine was plugging with loaf and he tried to kick it through with his feet, when he got pulled in. He was bruised all over his legs but did not get any permanent disabilities.
He was glad to walk again after a week.

Off course the guys that read the books came by to say that you should allways turn the machine off etcetera, and off course theoretically they are right. Problem is that it usually requires little pressure on the plug to remove it and have the machine pull the plugged material through. When the machine is turned off, all trash has to be pulled out by manual labor, whish is quite some more, and heavier work. Most people in the hurry of harvest, dont want to waste their time and take the quick way.

When someone else suggested to at least use a stick to push into the plugged rolls of a running machine, so you can let go of the stick when it is grabbed, most guys running potato harvesters agreed that it was wise to take a wooden stick with them to the field, because this would be a very good safety improvement vs. kicking with the boot, though 90% of them agreed that in the heat of harvest, they probably would chose to risk their foot for a 30 second unplugging operation, than turning the machine off and waste 20 minutes of precious harvest time...

this was last fall... i wonder how many of these people remember this story and do take a wooden stick with them this harvest season.... ???

In Holland it is widely known that the highest death rate in any business, is the agricultural contracting business during the corn silage harvesting months october and november. The time pressure is high and people work 14 hours a day 6 days a week. Some work even 7 days a week, 3 to 4 weeks in a row. It is not surprising that tired operators, mostly old folks that are too old to stay alert, or young unexperienced farm kids, both groups only working in peak season, cause the biggest death rates in agruculture.

/ OUCH!! #9  
Around here is about a toss up to which happens the most, PTO powered accidents or roll overs.
I personally know one guy that got his glove caught on a post hole auger where the auger bolts to the head. It wrapped him up like a roll of twin. Good thing that someone was working with him and heard him scream or he would be dead. That was about 20 years ago and he still has neck problems.
Another one was working with a grinder/mixer making feed for his dairy. The PTO didn't have a shield. He stepped over and it caught his pants. His son got to him and shut it off before he was killed. He was just a few feet away. He lost some parts in the mishap and got a very bad infection. For a while, the doctors thought they were going to have to take the other one off. He was very luck, they didn't have to take any more off and he is still alive.
A friend rolled a Deutz about a year ago while mowing a pond bank. Good thing that the fenders were so tall. He was able to crawl out after the roll. Used a cane and was really bruised up for a while.
You can't be careful enough around equipment. Think what it would be like to have any of these things happen to YOU.

/ OUCH!! #10  
My brother was adjusting our hay conditioner, left PTO running at idle stepped over PTO shaft.

When he woke up , he was laying on the ground about 10-15 ft away from the machine.
He only had his underwear and one shoe and sock on. His clothes were wrapped aound the shaft.

He was VERY LUCKY only recieved bruises to his body and ego.