OT: How to anchor an outdoor ping pong table?

/ OT: How to anchor an outdoor ping pong table? #1  

davesisk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF 1220
Off-topic question here, but I'm sure you guys have done something similar. We bought a pretty nice outdoor ping pong table at work. One of the chiefs agreed to funding the purchase, but insists that play occur outside. OK, that'll work. He also wants to anchor the table outside with a chain so that we don't need to roll it in at night. Now, my thought is that no matter how well we anchor this $500 ping pong table, sooner or later it's going to disappear if left outside. But, that's my opinion, and this particular chief is "always right".

Anyway, we have a concrete sidewalk and an asphalt parking lot. What do you suggest? Should we put a long concrete screw into the concrete sidewalk and hook the chain between that and the table? Or would we be better off to put the anchor in the asphalt? Do I need to use a hammer drill (don't have one), an air chisel (have one), or a regular drill w/ masonary bit (have one) to put the anchor in the concrete? What drill should I use if asphalt is the better choice? Any ideas on how to make this "theft-proof" while keeping it a project that can be done for free over lunch? Any thoughts?

Thx!
Dave

/ OT: How to anchor an outdoor ping pong table? #2  
"theft proof" - no such thing. All you can do is make it more trouble than it's worth to steal it. If you use chain then that's going to be your weakest link. A 3 foot bolt cutter will go through some pretty thick chain in about .5 seconds. Thick cable is better because 1. bolt cutters won't cut it, and 2. Large cable cutters are not as common. Re anchoring - the concrete bolt would work fine in concrete or you could use a duck bill anchor through the asphalt. Of course either one would likley be pulled loose with a 4 wheel drive vehicle and a tow chain. You MIGHT be better off embedding the cable in a 1/2 55 gal drum filled with concrete and put it right under the table. That way there's nothing to pull loose and it's too heavy to lift easily. (Kind of the principal they use when pamking park benches out of concrete - other than durability they're just too heavy to haul off easily.)

/ OT: How to anchor an outdoor ping pong table?
Cool. Thanks for the suggestion on the cable rather than chain. I did not know that!

So, sounds like boring a hole into the concrete or asphalt using a large electric drill with a masonary bit would do the trick. We'll just need a different type anchor depending on whether we anchor it to the concrete or the asphalt. Any other suggestions, please post!

Thx,
Dave