Oscillating tool (head) question...

/ Oscillating tool (head) question... #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Bought a Festool OS-400 EQ for the wife a handful of years ago (forget when).

Blades can be stupid expensive.... thought I'd look at getting an off brand and not sure they're going to fit. Seems the blade systems have evolved to a Star or Starlock or super duper Star Stud system.

Alas....I notice I can buy a replacement head for this and then fit some of these other blades.

I remain a bit vague though on which one might give me the best bang for the buck? Specifically, I've found two different heads that you can swap. I'm still trying to dig & find out is one of them an 'older' upgrade and the other is a newer (better?) update to the head or does one simply do Brand A and the other does Brand B?

Nice tool & all and frankly, I wouldn't mind the cost of the blades BUT, so far I've gone through more blades than I would have expected making me wonder if maybe they're just not as good as I had presumed....and if THAT is the case, then I for sure don't want to pay those higher prices. (given that I've had maybe 10 blades of several configurations and still remain unimpressed with them, I'm guessing I'm expecting too much out of them)

Anyone have some clear thoughts/answers on what blades and head to use? I'm thinking the Fein blades but then....which head to fit?

Sigh....

/ Oscillating tool (head) question... #2  
Hate/love? Oscillating tools - most unused tool in the toolbox and blades are expensive. When the rare occasion arises and it's the only tool that will work, a battery tool is best. Seems power cord is always in the way.

As Festool goes - limited dealer locations, get head assembly that allows big box store or lumber yard blade purchases.

/ Oscillating tool (head) question... #3  
I started out cheap with the Dremmel version. It worked OK as long as I used Dremel blades. It was supposed to work with all brands, but it didn't. Then I went with Bosch, and that was a lot more powerful and it worked with just about every other blade brand except DeWalt. Those blades would just jump right off of the tool!! I now have a Makita and the way it holds the blades on is completely different then any of the others. It's very solid and I've never had an issue with any brand of blade.

I'm at Home Depot or Lowes almost every day. If I'm wanting Oscillating blades, then I go to Home Depot. Fein and Bosch are the two that I chose from there. Lowes only has junk, and they are not worth the money no matter how cheap they are. I don't care about price as much as performance. I pass the cost of disposable tools on to my clients, so they pay for however many blades that I need to do their job.

Since Lowes decided to push Craftsman, its become very hard to justify shopping there for tools or blades, or even sandpaper. There was a time when Craftsman was a very good value, but now it's all Harbor Freight quality junk that costs more then Harbor Freight.

/ Oscillating tool (head) question... #4  
I buy cheap blades off amazon for like $2 each. They’re junk but I destroy them anyway. My oscillating tool is one of my most used tools. There’s hardly a day that goes by I don’t use it.

/ Oscillating tool (head) question...
My local box stores don't seem to carry Fein (which as I understand might be a direct fit)

I'm just a bit confused as to which accesory head would be best

/ Oscillating tool (head) question... #6  
Decide on brand of blades you want to use based on price, availability, ect. This will help you select which head assembly to buy.

/ Oscillating tool (head) question... #7  
Hate/love? Oscillating tools -

AND possibly the most hyped tool on the internet and TV.

Have one.
A cheap 'clone' (+/-) $30/40) and have used it maybe twice.
OK, for that specific need I was rewarded but for the hyped TV price? NO WAY.
Makes me think of Star Frit LOL.

/ Oscillating tool (head) question... #8  
I buy cheap blades off amazon for like $2 each. They’re junk but I destroy them anyway. My oscillating tool is one of my most used tools. There’s hardly a day that goes by I don’t use it.

I have the rigid batt operated. I love it. I use it when necessary but sometimes it's about the only tool for the job. Im on my third batt after 10 years. A quick phone call and i get a new batt., free of charge, no heartburn!

Bought it to do flooring, undercut door trim etc.

/ Oscillating tool (head) question... #9  
If you search for "oscillating tool blade compatibility chart" you will get lots of information on interchangeability among different manufacturers.

I have a Bosch corded tool with "starlock plus". I really like the quick change feature. The Bosch blades cost about $8 depending on type. Except for the ceramic cutting blades, they last a long time, so the cost of the blade is not too much of a consideration.

/ Oscillating tool (head) question...
Yeah, I agree. When you need something for what it does, it's the right tool for the job.

We had a shower tiled, guy finished it last weekend. Long story short, the plumber put the pipes & fittings in. We've got a hand held wand in addition to the shower head.

The plumber (I hope his dog bites him in the hiney for this) put a soldered elbow with ears on the stud. Sweated in a stub and on that, put the 1/2" male fitting that would screw onto the wand base.

Well.....stupid me never thought to look.... the tile guy never thought to measure... and when he was done, he said "oops" your male threads there are flush with my tile (why didn't you catch that before so I could have fixed it??)

Anyway, as luck would have it, on that wall behind the fixtures, is a space where I might have access to most of the area without cutting drywall. (might have to cut some)

I'm not going to rip out a tile job that was finished just last week.

Cut hole in drywall, plumber added a 1x6 board between the studs to ostensibly steady the copper pipe (I don't yet know if it attaches to the 1x6 or at the stud)

Anyway, I need to cut the 1x6 out, cut the copper pipe, add a new part to the copper pipe so I can put a proper (not sure what it's called) "1/2" female with ears/wings to mount it to whatever is backing it"

THEN, I can put my 2 1/2", or is it 3" (don't know yet) nipple in to then mount to the base of the wand.

So this tool will be good for doing this surgery from behind.