orchard sprayer

/ orchard sprayer #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
Anyone here use their power washer as an effective and quick covering fruit tree sprayer?

/ orchard sprayer #2  
Interesting idea. I know some sprays are hard on some pumps and a power washer is probably not designed to take much more than water and soap. But I like the concept. I'll be curious if someone has gone down this road yet.

/ orchard sprayer #3  
Interesting idea. I know some sprays are hard on some pumps and a power washer is probably not designed to take much more than water and soap. But I like the concept. I'll be curious if someone has gone down this road yet.

I think that's about it in nutshell...many of the pesticide solutions normally used can be abrasive to nozzle tips and pump seals, hoses etc. Mixture agitation (suspension) is another consideration. Probably would work to an extent.

Could get good canopy penetration I bet :D

What was the plan for a tank setup Does a washer need a pressurized water inlet feed?

Experiment and let us know

/ orchard sprayer #4  
Isn't the purpose of the two types in total contrast. I thought orchard sprayers worked by creating a fine mist that settles onto (the more the better) surfaces whereas a pressure washer....well...you know...that whole pressure thing...

/ orchard sprayer
Actually, it was the "mist" coming from my nozzle that got me thinking. I could be done spraying 25 trees in about 6 seconds (perhaps a bit longer). The key is certainly to by pass the pump with any kind of chemical. I looked around today and found this company. I sent them an email to see if their "X-JET" could be applicable as an orchard sprayer. Pressure Washing Supply Raleigh | Xterior Sales & Service, Inc.

/ orchard sprayer #6  
Well I'm certainly interested in your findings. Orchard sprayers that come up on eBay / CL around here are either 1.) Gone in 60 seconds 2.) Priced out of this world or 3.) Good for parts donors :(

/ orchard sprayer
The company did email me back. What they will do is once you give them the solution ratio of the orchard spray particularly being used, they will provide the correct flow orifice insert based on the gallons per minute of the pressure washer. They send about a dozen different size orifices or flow proportioners so you can keep matching your solution ratio. They'll even do the math for each solution. For less than $160, this will beat most of the orchard sprayers in product dispersement sold for $400 or more.
They also have a 5 gallon container their set up hooks to or fittings if you are using a larger nurse tank.

/ orchard sprayer #8  
The fine mist spray part I get, but if your pressure washer has a siphon hose, like mine, how do you dial in the correct dilution ratio?
Plus, better make sure you have the proper mask and clothing, because you are going to be immersed in product.

/ orchard sprayer
The fine mist spray part I get, but if your pressure washer has a siphon hose, like mine, how do you dial in the correct dilution ratio?
Plus, better make sure you have the proper mask and clothing, because you are going to be immersed in product.

The dilution ratio is acquired with the flow restrictors inserted at the outlet nozzle. Depending on your gpm pump output, they have formulated how much of a feed restriction is necessitated to "come close" to the dilution ratio. One could always add a bit more product for insurance.