Options are Bad Boy or Gravely

/ Options are Bad Boy or Gravely #1  

JeremyFOwens

Tractor
YS4500 Craftsman
Went to a mom and pop shop and they didn't have the one I was looking at. The one i was looking at was the Gravely ZT X 52" with Kohler engine for $2,999. They also carry Bad Boy mowers. Staying in the same $3k price range should I just continue looking at Gravely or take a look at Bad Boy as well?

/ Options are Bad Boy or Gravely #2  
i'd look closely @ the specs including the overall weight & guage of deck construction. assume both are fabricated rather than stamped? (deck) definitely would check both out in the real if there's a gravely dealer around. @ that price, my guess is that both models are entry level. what kind of terrain are you mowing? the only way i'd buy an entry level would be for level & smooth. just a lot to consider and you'll get a lot of replies. you might also post this in the lawn & garden forum.

my own bias would lean toward gravely but never had experience with one. neighbor's had bad luck w/mid level bad boy, but a lot of owners out there..... my own zero turn is heavier construction given the terrain i cover. i'd sure shop around. every time i go to lowes i pass by and tamp on the zero turns on display (mostly troy built, & husky) wondering how long they'd last for me. maybe a year or 2... best on that, i'd spend time making the purchase decision including ease/ expertise of the dealer service that you purchase from.

btw i prefer kawi over kohler any day. just from my experience repairing my neighbors koh. on his bad boy

/ Options are Bad Boy or Gravely
The place I went sells both Bad Boy and Gravely. the ZT X is fabricated deck and i am not sure what the bad boy is. Keeps saying steel welded but not sure if that is stamped or not.

I have just under an acre of mildly sloped land.

/ Options are Bad Boy or Gravely #4  
I have to agree with Bubba.....find a Kawi engine if you can and owning a Gravely ZT HD52 myself I would go Gravely over Bad Boy. Plus....it's red! As long as your yard is smooth and only an acre you probably won't go wrong with either but try to find something other than the Kohler for power. Good luck.

/ Options are Bad Boy or Gravely #6  
I was going to buy a Bad Boy with a 60" deck and the Briggs engine. The shop owner's daughter cornered me, she graduated with my youngest daughter, and told me to get the 54" deck and the Kawasaki engine for about the same money. Said the 60" deck sticks out too far from the wheels and tends to scalp the yard. And, so she said, the Kawasaki will run longer, quieter, and burn much less gas. So when a pretty young blond tells me what to buy, I buy it.

I've had to replace one belt, large stick hung in it, sounded like a helicopter until I shut it off. And replaced the starter solenoid. Last two years I've mowed around four acres weekly. This year I'm back to an acre.

I did own a Gravely. It had the Kohler Command engine. I was told it was a 500 hour engine. Sure enough, threw a rod at 502 hours. And, as the young lady said, the 24-hp Kawasaki engine is smooth and burns less gas than the 17-hp Kohler it replaced.

Oh year, the Bad Boy has an electric height adjust, my wife loves that.

RSKY

/ Options are Bad Boy or Gravely #7  
IMO. in the 3k price range they all about the same.