Option to purchase Extended warranty on 600hr 1yo JD without problems ? thoughts ?

/ Option to purchase Extended warranty on 600hr 1yo JD without problems ? thoughts ? #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I recently purchased a JD 5100e with FEL 2nd hand off lease. The lease was a racetrack who used it primarily for mucking and whatnot. Pretty mild stuff overall.

I, on the otherhand, am building a farm. I've used it relatively heavily... at least the FEL, for around 100hrs thus far. Lots of back and forth with the hydro moving fine.

I've had no problems with the tractor except for a couple hydraulic leaks at the newly installed 3rd valve for FEL grapple fittings. Tightened them up and away I went.

The only other thing I've noticed is that when in use 2 out of 10 times or so, I've had a warning light come on about HIGH OIL TEMP. Typically, when that happens I had been doing a lot of back and forth FEL work pulling trees and/or fences. So both transmission and FEL hydraulics were being relatively heavily used. But, I'd let it set for a while at idle, and the light would go off and away I went. I've insured there was adequate hydraulic oil. And honestly, I've added 3gal since I have had it. I see no leak except for when the hydraulics were leaking. I really don't think they could have lost 3 gal worth, but the first time, it was spraying out of the fitting pretty strongly for a few minutes. But, I've checked everything over and can't see a leak. Sight glass shows barely touching the top glass.

I was given the option, at purchase, to purchase an extended warranty. I can get it up to 5000hr/5 years with a $250 deductible. Cost ranges from $1399 for 1500/3yr to $4776 for 5000/5yr. The current warranty is good through next spring, March. There is also a Powertrain warranty which is less expensive 72mo/5000 @ $3820.

Given I've never owned a tractor before... at least one with a warranty, I don't know the utility of purchasing one in this instance. I'm not typically an 'extended warranty' kind of guy, but then again...

I'm using the tractor pretty heavily at this point. And will for the next couple years, but then, it will essentially be light work and mowing from then on.

What are your thoughts on getting the warranty at some level given these parameters? I don't know what typically goes down on these tractors nor do I know the typical cost for repairs. But $4776 seems like it could fix a lot of things... should they occur.

Last edited:
   / Option to purchase Extended warranty on 600hr 1yo JD without problems ? thoughts ? #2  
On average, extended warranties aren't worth it. They figure out the average repair cost + their profit then charge you that. On average you will be paying that average repair cost without their profit. However you never know if you will be above or below that average on your specific machine. Can you afford to pay for a $7-10k repair? If so, on average you'd be better banking that money & hoping for the best. If you can't afford the risk, you might be better off with the warranty.

P.S. that is my response for anything except laptops. Laptops are the only thing I get an extended warranty on. Even then it's a bit iffy on whether or not I do.

/ Option to purchase Extended warranty on 600hr 1yo JD without problems ? thoughts ? #3  
Watch for clogging of cooling systems. Change oils and fluids per schedule. Shouldn't have a problem. I bought my Kubota with 748 VERY HARD hours on it and have put on over 900 hours on it and nothing in the driveline path, engine included, has had a problem.

As Fallon mentioned, put some money aside for possible repairs. If you find that after the period of that warranty passes you by and you had no major repairs then take some of that money and invest it in something!

/ Option to purchase Extended warranty on 600hr 1yo JD without problems ? thoughts ? #4  
In my view extended warranties are a great deal ... for the company issuing them. Just look at how hard sales people push them, which tells you how strong the incentives are for sales people, which directly relates to the profitability of the product.

Not generally such a good deal for the consumer. Still, I've purchased them for expensive failure-prone items.

/ Option to purchase Extended warranty on 600hr 1yo JD without problems ? thoughts ? #5  
Usually on an extended warranty the sales man gets a huge commission. That should tell you something.

/ Option to purchase Extended warranty on 600hr 1yo JD without problems ? thoughts ? #6  
I agree with Fallon that if you have the money or can put aside in a savings account or similar to do that.
If you do decide to get the power train warranty its good till you hit 5000 hours but does the 72 month start when you get that policy, when the factory warranty expires, or would that be from the date the tractor was first sold meaning you only get the remainder of the 72 months.

Also, you didn't mention it but when was the last time all the filters and screens (if any) were changed. At 600 hours they should have been changed at least twice. A partially plugged filter can restrict oil flow and could cause overheating the oil. Not sure if the high temp light is indicate whether it is for engine oil or hydraulic fluid or both.

/ Option to purchase Extended warranty on 600hr 1yo JD without problems ? thoughts ?
The Light is for Hydraulic oil.

I have had the tractor for only around 80 hours or so, and don't know when/if the routine maintenance was completed. It is close to 600, not quite there but within reason to be called such.

I purchased it with just over 500hrs from JD dealer. Actually, I'll have to check on whether the 500hr maintenance was performed.

Every 500 Hours

· Replace primary air filter.

· Check secondary air filter. (Replace after every third primary filter is replaced if air restriction indicator is not installed on your machine.)

· Check air cleaner hose clamps.

· Replace fuel filter.

· Check engine speeds.

· Change optional MFWD oil.

· Change gear transmission oil and filter. Clean transmission suction screen and vent tube.

· Inspect fuel injectors. (See your John Deere dealer.)

· Adjust engine valve clearance. (See your John Deere dealer.)

· Check front axle pivot pin. (See your John Deere dealer.)

· Pack front wheel bearings. (See your John Deere dealer.)

/ Option to purchase Extended warranty on 600hr 1yo JD without problems ? thoughts ? #8  
I run my Massey 1652 hydro very hard for my landscape company, often 8 hrs straight of loader, grading, and PTO work (power rake). I have never had an oil temp warning. I think that before you decide on spending big money on a warranty, you might consider getting the tractor looked at, and figuring out why it's getting hot.

/ Option to purchase Extended warranty on 600hr 1yo JD without problems ? thoughts ? #9  
When you buy an extended warranty, you are betting that the tractor will fail and the seller is betting it won't. I don't like betting against myself. It's bad Karma!

/ Option to purchase Extended warranty on 600hr 1yo JD without problems ? thoughts ? #10  
Its been a while since I talked to anyone about extended warranties but years ago I actually had a long argument with a relative who swore by them on just about everything. The end result of this argument was both of us doing the math on cost of both. Adding up the cost of all his extended warranties and any deductible paid when he actually used them compared with my actual repair cost for any and all similar things. The result was he paid almost as much with the deductible as I did for the hole repair on the few things we had in common. The overall verdict we found was he wasted a lot of money basically insuring himself for things that would break but due to the fine print he had to replace at his own cost anyway or that he would turn around and sell or replace long before it would break.

I don't know if he still buys the extended warranty on things but from memory I wouldn't bother with most!