Opossum problem?!?!?

/ Opossum problem?!?!? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
I have a problem with "possums" getting in a pen. I have two 12ft x 12ft pens, they're 8ft tall, 3ft apart. Concrete pad, chain link fence securely attached on sides, steel roofs. The chain link doors face each other, concrete sidewalk between.
They're for our 3 outdoor cats. Overhead tunnel for them, even an insulated heated (winter) room overhead.
Every everything at dusk I hear a good pan banging...I know it's a possum. I've gotten three out in last week. I put them in a cage, release them miles from nowhere. I don't want to shoot them...messy and it would probably damage pens.
Now my question...I can't understand how they get in! Cats cannot get out. Doors have maybe 1.5" gap if that (can an adult possum squeeze through that?).
I have a have a Hart trap, and have trapped them outside...(but skunks too!)
My question is I can't see how they could get through chain link fence...can they?
Worst part is one (4th) 13y.o. cat had to be euthanized yesterday (got sick, been to vet several times, vet said no connection with possums...cat had lots of tests, it was liver cancer).
Thanks in advance any thoughts, advice appreciated. Few pictures...it's dark outside but enough to have idea. Blue&green are tarps I started zip-tying on outside to cover chain link. 20181102_212319.jpeg20181102_212308.jpeg20181102_212332.jpeg20181102_212408.jpeg

/ Opossum problem?!?!? #2  
I’m guessing they are not but will ask. Are the eves open?

/ Opossum problem?!?!? #3  
My guess would be the roof/wall interface someplace. I have seen them walk right up a chain link fence like nothing or 6x6 posts outside the stalls. If all else fails set up a camera to record for a day or two or even spend 3-4 hrs outside the pen quietly waiting and watching. They get real active several hours after sunset until around 3 AM here.

/ Opossum problem?!?!? #5  
Run an electic fence wire at the base. Will keep them out. Them critters love cat food.
Must be a gazillion of them around here based on the amount killed on our road. 😵

/ Opossum problem?!?!? #7  
I think they could squeeze in around that gate.

You could put you live trap in there with cat food in a tin can for bait. If one of your cats goes in and sets the door shut leave the cat in there for 1/2 a day. They will not venture in again! Easier to get the possum that way.

If you catch a skunk simply walk up slowly and drop a piece of carpet or better yet an old sheet to cover the trap. You then can pick up the trap (covered of course) and carry it out to your truck to haul. When you get to where you release the critters just stick a screw driver or stick in the side of the live trap to keep the door open. He'll skoodly pretty quickly.

/ Opossum problem?!?!? #8  
I've been trying to think of some non-hazardous, non-messy substance you could sprinkle around the fence so you could see where the possums were coming in. I finally came up with sand then I remembered what cats do in sand.

/ Opossum problem?!?!?
Thanks. I'll start with electric fence and wire.
This may help someone...everyone knows they're nocturnal, so the activity starts at nightfall or about 7:30pm now. I hear metal cat pans banging. I turn off shop lights and have a flashlight ready. Sneak outside, turn it on, see the eyes and they take off...always going up to under eves. I lay flashlight down so it shines on them, they stay put.
I get a stepladder, a section of 1 1/2" PVC pipe that I pull a rope through double so it makes a loop. Then slip over their head, pull, dropping in the open trap (on floor facing up).
I would shoot them but that would be messy, may damage pen.
I may have to go with 1/2" hardware wire cloth. Maybe I could put that on insulators on outside and electrify that!
As a kid our main barn had double doors with Windows. Granddad had rigged up double hardware wire over them hooked to a transformer. It worked well zapping and flys trying to get in.
One day a salesman drives up, says "where's the owner?". Dad says in the barn.
We watch the guy walk over, puts hands on the wire to look in..."zap!".
Guy runs to his car. Dad asks "did you see him?" Guy says "I've seen all I need to" and drives off.

/ Opossum problem?!?!? #10  

Attachments

• unnamed[1].png
    unnamed[1].png
    429.5 KB · Views: 98