Rake Opinions wanted for rake

/ Opinions wanted for rake #1  

Bedlam

Veteran Member
   / Opinions wanted for rake #2  
Not sure where you're located buy I have a Lienbach 7' rake with wheels that I bought from Batchelder's in Lebanon, Maine for around $700. It's rugged and the wheel set up is more stout than some I've seen. I noticed the Agri-Supply rake is freight included but wheels usually run around $200 for the wheels and mounts.

/ Opinions wanted for rake #3  
Tractor Supply Co is another source. They sell a presumably foreign made 6 ft rake with gauge wheels for a bit over $600. Closest TSC in New England is in CT however.

/ Opinions wanted for rake #4  
Make sure you get a rake to match your tractor. Like all other implements, they come in light, med, heavy duty. I'm sure if you are going to take it easy with one, a light duty will be fine no matter the tractor hp. I recently bought one and was glad I checked closely before purchase. I'm using mine in some tough situations with a 43 pto hp tractor. I don't think the regular duty model would have stood up to it. Except for the money, I would have bought the heavy duty model. Mine is a Land Pride 7' LR2584 (I think that's the correct model) with dual guage wheels. I paid $949 total which was about the price other places wanted for the rake alone (without wheels), but probably got the discount because I bought my tractor at the same place.
Terry

/ Opinions wanted for rake
Thanks for the replys. I have a 6 foot Landpride rake now, and it is definitely Held up well for me. I use it allot in the woods etc so I wanted to get another rake with wheels for just strictly the driveways.So I am swinging back and forth between either a second one, or making wheels for the one I have. I was impressed but some of the posts about people who have made their own wheels. So I might go that route.(not sure yet).
I made an attempt at the wheels a few years ago. but don't think I got the angle right so the wheels would track right. I am now thinking I may try a straight axle with some 12 inch wheels. (no swiveling) . I know it would go OK in a straight forward motion. And have a scuffing effect on turns. but with a driveway, I think it may work.
Always open to ideas or experiences.
I know what you maean about duty rating. I have a friend who bought a not so heavy duty one, and the wheels fell apart and twisted. Thats the trouble with on line purchases, unless its a well know maker.
Al

/ Opinions wanted for rake #6  
I can't help but think that the best tool for that job is a Landpride gauge wheel set. Find your model at http://www.landpride.com/manuals/man_lr.html, good chance there's an optional wheel set for it available through any LandPride dealer.

If you're going to buy new, forget the light duty ones unless it's not intended for much more than raking lawns and loose gravel. I broke a seven footer in half trying to windrow sandrock after a pond was backfilled. Traded up to a medium duty and finished the job no problem. Also - and you may already know this - make sure the size rake you select can cover your tire tracks even when it's turned to it's most extreme index angle.

//greg//

Thankds Greg. The 6 foot one I have DOESNT fill the tire foot tread when angled. Thats definitely something to consider.I measured it and the 7 foot would cover it well.
Broke it in half. WOW. I agree the landpride is definitely built to last.
Thanks, for your insight.
One thing leads to another. Hyd top link, then I need wheels so I can float .
Allan

/ Opinions wanted for rake #8  
I just bought one last week. I went with the Frontier LR1172. It is their medium duty rake and some far (couple hours of use) I am pleased. I paid $725 for it. The light duty was $550. I figured the extra money was worth it - the medium duty is a lot stouter.

I am not well versed in the proper use of a landscape rake. I am running my perpendicular to the tractor. In which situation do you want to angle it? Also, I noticed it has 5 forward and 3 reverse angles. What is the reverse angle for anyway? Somebody educate me here please.

Thanks,
D.

Sounds like a good rake. I am going to go out Monday and look around for one. I angle mine to bring the dirt back from the drive sides to crown the drive.It doesn't pull as much dirt as a blade does tho.
I have used my land pride backing up to push sticks leaves etc along. but the tines tend to spring rocks .So if I had one that I could spin around then you could rake back wards. This is helpful if your pushing the stuff over a banking.Many dont swing around because of short "tongue"
Ive been looking online and dont seem to find many rakes that you can see good and buy over the net and have delivered. Agr. has some but you cant see the thickness of the angle etc.
Good hearing from you
AL

/ Opinions wanted for rake #10  
The King Kutter (Chinese??) from Tractor Supply doesn't come with gauge wheels, at least mine didn't, but wheels are available. The KK wheels I bought from TSC work well, but were not cheap....about $170/ pr. as I recall. They bolt to two lengths of flat bar that sandwich the tines a few inches behind the angle iron the tines bolt to. The TSC wheels may be generic enough to use on many other brands of rakes. But first, have you called Agri or Northern to see if they carry wheels, but just don't advertise them?

OkieG