Opinions on this craigslist used Miller welder?

/ Opinions on this craigslist used Miller welder? #1  

beppington

Elite Member
Tractor
Here
Is this something you'd have to see in person & test/ try before offering an opinion? (which concerns me since I have such limited welding experience (aka comm ed class only) & know no welders)

Is $750 fair, or what you would offer him?

(I pasted the ad below, but here's the link it's from: Millermatic 140 MIG Welder)

Millermatic 140 MIG Welder - $750

Date: 2011-01-11, 5:25PM EST
Reply to: sale-gzsym-2155544891@craigslist.org

I am selling my Millermatic 140 MIG welder and mixed gas tank. I have only used this unit for approximately less than 1 hour. This welder sells for $837 and I spent over $900 with the mixed gas tank. I hate to sell this welder but I am in a bit of a financial bind and must sell ASAP! $750 for both the full tank of mixed gas and the millermatic along with the original box/ manuals/ and even instructional DVD. Give me a call and you can even try it out before you buy. Call Alex (904) 303-4673

3k13oa3l75Y35W05P2b1bd70ee4222a271fb4.jpg
3k13p13l95V45W45P1b1bbf5d4f4cc18c1b7a.jpg

/ Opinions on this craigslist used Miller welder? #2  
make sure the tank is customer owned, or he is selling you something he doesn't own.

/ Opinions on this craigslist used Miller welder? #3  
it is about like getting the tank for free. Check the hydro date on the tank, and make sure who is the rightful owner of the tank, (not leased) then what about the warranty, still good for the second owner of the welder? if so than I think it might be a good deal.
James K0UA

/ Opinions on this craigslist used Miller welder? #4  
Its a good unit, but you may want to look for something bigger like a MM180 minimum. A bit of searching could get you a new 180 fr not much more but youd still have to buy a tank.

His prices are near what i paid. I think my tank was ~200 and the welder was about the same.

Make sure he owns the tank, I think you could get it for less from him but i wouldnt wait too long.

/ Opinions on this craigslist used Miller welder?
Well ... I've budgeted $1,000 for a welder. If this isn't a really good deal, & it sounds like it's not, I guess I'll just get a new one & avoid possible used equipment problems, dealing with somebody I don't know, & all that.

Tks for the opinions.

/ Opinions on this craigslist used Miller welder? #6  
By his #'s, it looks like ho only has about $63 invested in the tank. It sure sounds like he is trying to sell you a leased tank. Unless he can provide ownership papers for the tank to prove it is his, it isn't really a great deal. Personally, I'd look for something a little larger as well. So I vote to pass on this one for now.

/ Opinions on this craigslist used Miller welder? #7  
Well ... I've budgeted $1,000 for a welder. If this isn't a really good deal, & it sounds like it's not, I guess I'll just get a new one & avoid possible used equipment problems, dealing with somebody I don't know, & all that.

Tks for the opinions.

I wouldnt say hes giving it away, but there is some savings there you could try for more.

The machine itself is a great runner. Id have no worries about the machine being defective (plus **** let you test).

Only thing is this " You can never have too large a mig welder". It was told to me when i bought mine, and i didnt heed. Learn from my mistakes lol.

As an example heres a MM180 for $879 and thats here in canada where we pay way more than you guys in the states Miller Millermatic 180 American-Made Mig Welder [MEM-907312] - $879.99 : KMS Tools

A MM140 for $759 http://www.kmstools.com/miller-millermatic-140-auto-set-mig-welder-3444

and a 212 for $1749 http://www.kmstools.com/miller-millermatic-212-mig-welder-3448

Also at around 1k give or take you could find a used 251 (if you get lucky) or 210 Both much better welders than the 2 compacts above. the 212 is the new 210

Last edited:
   / Opinions on this craigslist used Miller welder?
Will skip it ... & it looks like I can get a new Millermatic 211 (115V / 230V auto-switchable; A big plus for me since I'm not sure I'll have access to 230V anytime soon) for about $900 including shipping on eBay.

Then I'd just need gas, which my local Airgas place said is about $260 to buy a filled tank.

/ Opinions on this craigslist used Miller welder? #9  
Will skip it ... & it looks like I can get a new Millermatic 211 (115V / 230V auto-switchable; A big plus for me since I'm not sure I'll have access to 230V anytime soon) for about $900 including shipping on eBay.

Then I'd just need gas, which my local Airgas place said is about $260 to buy a filled tank.

I am sure their are differing opinions, but I would look into leasing a tank. Especially if you are not going to be doing a ton of welding. The place where we get tanks from, it is $50 per year. And that is good for up to like 5 tanks.

For example, you open a lease for $50 and get a tank. Then pay whatever it cost for the contents. I 2 months you buy a set of thrches and need oxy and acete tanks. Lease is alreeady paid. They "give" you the two tank and you are only charged for contents.

Plus you never have to worry about tanks being out of date, re-inspections, ownership papers, etc.

Not saying it is right for you, I am just saying to look into it.

/ Opinions on this craigslist used Miller welder? #10  

I was going to suggest the 211 as well. Its also heaver than the 140 and 180 but still compact.

around 1k at cyberweld. 900 is a steal

Owning a tank is a good thing. At least here. The leases are killers. Plus its a walk in exchange so i always get one thats currently tested