Opinions on .177 air rifles-pump action

/ Opinions on .177 air rifles-pump action #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
Guys,

The coyote situation around me is getting worse-we have one that routinely travels my property and looks at you like..."what's your problem pal?". If I pulled out a shotgun and blasted away cops would be here in a minute.

I'm thinking maybe a 177 pellet gun would be the answer to get their attention. I have a pistol but accuracy -at least for me- doesn't work beyond 40-50 ft.

Any opinions on a reasonably priced rifle? I don't want a gas operated one. I see Crossman has some in 50 buck range. Not intending to kill them-just a little incentive to stay away.

/ Opinions on .177 air rifles-pump action #2  
A Crossman 760 might be able to hit them at your price range of $50. The problem is that it is a pump gun so you would have to keep it pumped up to be able to get off a shot. I never kept air in mine for toooooo long. Maybe 10-15 minutes.

Hard to believe that the coyotes are staying around long enough to be seen much less shot at. :shocked: I have only seen one at our place but have heard them many times. Thankfully, if they were stopping and staring at us, I could shoot them without worrying about the someone calling the law. :D Someone to our east was spending a bunch of money rapid firing 15ish rounds at a time for an hour to two. :laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ Opinions on .177 air rifles-pump action #4  
CCI QUIET-22, 22LR shot at 750 FPS no louder then a clap of the hand. I have a 22 cal air rifle that shoots 1500 FPS but it was $500+, it has a gas compression cylinder instead of a spring (not Co2) and does not loose power after loaded and not fired. I dare say it would kill a coyote at real close range if the pellet didn't hit a bone. Another option would be a good quality sling shot if you just want to let it know it doesn't run the show, $20 - $30, would be fun to hear it yelp and peel out.lol

/ Opinions on .177 air rifles-pump action #5  
Crossman Vantage can be had for about $100. 1200 fps with light pellets. Less than 1000 fps with heavies. Add a nice scope and you have pretty good accuracy at 50 yards plus. This is a single pump piston powered air rifle. The scope that comes with it is pretty much junk.

We had a coyote coming in and teasing our 2 dogs several days in a row. The dogs couldn't get to him because of their electronic collars. I plinked him one time and he never came back.

Kevin

/ Opinions on .177 air rifles-pump action #7  
.177 from a "cheap" gun is not sufficient to do anything but make a festering wound. Sure, it will kill eventually, but are you good with that?

Add to that, any pellet that will go out with sufficient energy to do damage will be going out with a sonic clap.

The .22RF will be less obtrusive. I use CB caps.

/ Opinions on .177 air rifles-pump action #8  
I frequently make 100yrd contact with groundhog rumps with my el-cheapo Daisy Powerline 880. Put 3-4 pumps on it and take a shot at that distance with a BB. The groundhog will sit up and maybe flinch a bit, then continue eating. It takes 6+ pumps to get their attention and make them run a bit. Pellets are more accurate, and heavier, so adjust accordingly. Give it a try with 3-4 pumps on some targets like milk jugs, to get a feel for it. Then start working your way back from the jugs and adjusting the # of pumps.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Daisy-Powerline-880-Dual-Ammo-Air-Rifle-with-Scope/40556631

/ Opinions on .177 air rifles-pump action #9  
Another silent option is the old bow and arrow. For the rifle stuff the subsonic 22 (as mentioned above) is hard to beat. I would/have shot from inside the house (open window and or door)- neighbors would be hard pressed to hear that and equate it to a gunshot.
If you do end up dispatching a coyote leave the carcass on your property for awhile. Fellow coyotes understand enough to know they don't want to be your repeat "customer."

Btw- I'm assuming the air rifle inside would also be hard to detect.

If you are going to have to buy something check your local pawn and gun shops. Cheap rifles are common. 22s last for decades. The air guns need seals every so often.

/ Opinions on .177 air rifles-pump action #10  
Ruger makes a break barrel piston powered in .177 and .22 cal. that is in the 1200 FPS range. It does make a bit of noise but nothing like a .22 rimfire.
If you want silenced .22 rimfire, just put a plastic coke bottle (larger the better it works) over the end of the barrel and it wont be any louder than a Daisy pellet gun. I tried it with my .17HMR and it was really quiet and that is a loud gun.