Operator Error

/ Operator Error #1  

crashz

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501, JD LT150, DR Field Mower
This is more a statement of my idiocy rather than a question or helpful content. But I hope it gives some noobies some comfort and veteran TBNer's a chuckle or two.

Yesterday I had the tractor out after work as I received a package (new plate compactor!) and wanted to put it away. I had the forks on from this weekend and the tractor parked in the garage. This past weekend I put a Piranha toothbar on the bucket and bought (and began repairs on) a used power rake. So the rake was on the back (heavy at ~1200 lbs) and the bucket on the forks. I drove the tractor out to the shed to put the bucket away first, and while doing so, hit the floor slab with the loader.

The QA plates have a small square bar on the bottom, below the pin. I routinely carry a load low and was doing so, but the forks obscure your view from the seat and I did not realize I was nearly scraping the ground as I went along. The lip of the barn/shed area is only about 3/4" higher, but enough to catch the bar on the QA.

I wasn't moving fast, but fast enough that it caused a loud BOOM!, the loader jerked and I notice it sheared the concrete lip off of the floor. I backed up, not immediately realizing what I hit, and looked things over. Saw the floor and orange paint, and it was all clear.

I inspected the loader and tractor, and I do not see anything cracked, broken or out of place. I feel pretty lucky though. And it got me thinking. I seem to hit things with this loader more than anything else I've operated. And I've been running heavy equipment all of my life. Everything from large excavators, wheel loaders and dozers. Yet i can't seem to keep from wacking trees, floors and whatever with this little tractor!

/ Operator Error #2  
I know exactly what you are talking about. Because it is smaller you don't put as much attention to details. It can happen to anyone who is use to do something often.