Operating 3 point blower in raised position- why not?

/ Operating 3 point blower in raised position- why not? #31  
When my blower is on the ground the PTO shaft is nearly level and in a straight line, maybe a very slight downward angle to the blower, the greatest angle I'll see is when it's raised all the way. So this really depends on the tractor and blower.

If the angle when raised is large I would rather take a chance on breaking a few shear bolts by stopping and starting than to risk damaging the U joints.

That's how my pto shaft is I just lift it up a bit never all the way and leave it running...

/ Operating 3 point blower in raised position- why not?
Helpful info, folks- thanks!

Here's the statements I'm trying to make sense of (from: https://www.landpride.com/ari/attach/lp/public/manuals/370-430m.pdf )

p. 30:

Do not lift unit up with driveline engaged or operate unit in the raised position. The driveline can break and throw off flying projectiles that can cause bodily injury or death.

p. 33:

It is now time to back the Snow Blower up to your starting point. Once at your starting point, stop backing up and lower Snow Blower onto its skid shoes or outer wear bars. Make sure all pressure is off the 3-point lift arms.

And then this seems contradictory to the page 30 statement:

p. 33:

Once you have reached end of travel, stop tractor, raise Snow Blower up, and travel forward to the front of your work to make another run at blowing snow. It is not necessary to disengage power take-off while traveling forward if Snow Blower is raised to a height that does not exceed driveline limits. For explanation of driveline limits, see 鼎heck Driveline Interference on page 23

So as speculated by a previous poster, it seems like excess pressure on the 3 point lift arms may be the concern with operating the blower lifted.

/ Operating 3 point blower in raised position- why not? #33  
I don’t see where there’s excess pressure on the 3 point arms. Unless you hit a frozen snow bank, but then again, the 3 point arms will feel that even if you had the blower lowered.
It is true that 3 point arms are designed to pull instead of push.
To me, it seems that manufacturers don’t want you transmitting a lot of power (blowing snow) through sharply angled u-joints. This makes sense. Thus they say it’s ok to leave blower running when driving forward. I think turning PTO repeatedly on and off is more wear and tear than running a u-joint at a sharp angle with no load on it. It’s definitely a trade-off, balance.
Regarding blowing snow with sharp angle, (IMHO) it depends on how much load you want to put on the u-joint. If your rpms are reduced, and the snow is light, and your speed is slow, duration short,...again, it’s a trade off. There’s no absolutes.

/ Operating 3 point blower in raised position- why not? #34  
My farm king mentions not using it raised, but follows in the same paragraph that some tractor setups may put the pro shaft into extreme angles. It then says not to exceed 20 degrees on the shaft to prevent possible damage.
I don't disengage the pto on mine every time I raise the blower, but my setup won't exciting angle by a long shot.

/ Operating 3 point blower in raised position- why not? #36  
I guess shortened lifespan for increased PTO angles is a good argument for using a quick hitch or Pats System that extends the implement farther away from the tractor and reduces the PTO angle.

/ Operating 3 point blower in raised position- why not? #38  
This appears to be for a Lucknow blower. I located a manual for one of their tillers that includes the same information.

The linked pages are not for a particular model of implement but rather a document published by the pto shaft manufacturer COMER.

COMER drive lines and gear boxes are used by name brand implement manufacturers.

Dave M7040

/ Operating 3 point blower in raised position- why not? #39  
At one time I came across U-joint angle data that compared life spans vs angles of operation.
While I don't recall exact data, suffice it to say that 10-15 deg is a safe angle.
I suspect grease application is higher up on the chain of life span, both on the joints and sliding tubes.

I, for one, annually wipe fresh grease on my PTO shaft at the same time as I lube the joints.

Now my blower was purchased used some 10-12 years ago and who knows how old and what prior life it had.
Suffice it to say life must have been tough as I needed to replace all the sealed bearings this year as they were making very loud complaints.

For the records, my 'maintenance' only set me back less than $100 all told. No complaints! All back to 'like new'.

We had one recent snow event, wet horrible heavy snow and the blower never complained, just blew it way out of the way! Never even sheared a pin either. (but I did a meticulous 'fod' clean up) and graded my gravel drive.

/ Operating 3 point blower in raised position- why not? #40  
Reading the instruction manual? Now I am really confused!!!! LOL