Only the Brits rant...

/ Only the Brits rant... #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
The slip clutch on my British made Blecavator tiller gave up the ghost. It had a Eurocardan slip clutch with built in yoke so I measured the caps and it matched up to a series 4 size (1 1/16"). I ordered a new clutch with yoke half. Went to assemble the cross tee into the yoke. Pressed in both bearing caps about 2/3 of the way. I installed the snap ring in one side and pressed the bearing tight to the snap ring. I look at the other side and the snap ring groove is not visible.

I disassembled it thinking that one of the needle bearings popped out and is at the end of the cap keeping it from bottoming. Nope, all the needle bearing are in place. I measure the width of the cross an it's about .050" wider than the new slip clutch yoke, snap ring to snap ring. I go online and determine that a series 4 yoke matches the dimensions of the new slip clutch.

For some reason, the Brits in their infinite wisdom decided to make the cross bearing about .050" wider than a standard series 4 cross tee even though the clutch is a Eurocardan.

Grrr... Ordered a new Cross Tee kit to match the new yoke.

/ Only the Brits rant... #2  
We do it on purpose. It's revenge for you kicking us out all those years ago. :D

/ Only the Brits rant... #3  
I am a McDonald, not a McAnnic, but could it be that it is metric, and you are measuring in Imperial? The sizes of everything are very slightly different.

/ Only the Brits rant...
I am a McDonald, not a McAnnic, but could it be that it is metric, and you are measuring in Imperial? The sizes of everything are very slightly different.

It doesn't matter which system I measure it in, it's still wider than the distance between the cir clips. At least it's an easy $20 fix.

/ Only the Brits rant... #5  
For some reason, the Brits in their infinite wisdom decided to make the cross bearing about .050" wider than a standard series 4 cross tee even though the clutch is a Eurocardan.

they just left you a bit more for extra wear and tear ...... :laughing:

( probably someone's conversion error or mental thinking ... like .... "so what s a little more in length , it fits doesn't it ?"

/ Only the Brits rant... #6  
We do it on purpose. It's revenge for you kicking us out all those years ago. :D

enough already !!!! you got us good with "LUCAS" electrics ... one big joke on every one ....:laughing:

/ Only the Brits rant... #7  
orezok, Sorry, a badly worded post on my part. Re-reading it, it does suggest that it is the measuring at fault. Obviously you can read numbers, and as you say, it does not matter which measurement is used, they are not the same. I did not mean to imply that, I meant to say that the metric equivalent of an Imperial measurement is not exactly the same, even measuring to one-tenth of a millimetre.

Britain formerly used Imperial measurements and made its goods in those measurements - often not less than one-sixteenth of an inch stages, and sometimes one-eighth. Much of the spare parts, and whole implements and machinery, are now imported and metric sizes are not exactly the same. A one-tenth of a millimetre difference is not far off your .050" and I just wondered if your Blecavator had a metric joint and your replacement is the nearest Imperial measurement as used in the US. Just a thought.

I am now in Europe and everything is measured in millimetres, except pipes and taps, which are measured in Imperial - e.g. 1" or 2" pipes and half inch or three-quarter inch taps. I forget he Portugues word for inch.

/ Only the Brits rant... #8  
enough already !!!! you got us good with "LUCAS" electrics ... one big joke on every one ....:laughing:

The trick with Lucas is knowing how to keep the smoke inside the wires. Anyway, think yourself lucky we didn't send you the Austin Allegro!

/ Only the Brits rant... #9  
ahhh , the law of smoke ... "all manufacturers put smoke into their components , when the smoke escapes the item stops working"

the law of LUCAS ... "God said let there be light" and Lucas wired it .... and so we now have day and night.

and thanks for the BSA / Triumphs / Nortons and all the other vehicles that "marked their spots " ...:drink:

/ Only the Brits rant...
orezok, Sorry, a badly worded post on my part. Re-reading it, it does suggest that it is the measuring at fault. Obviously you can read numbers, and as you say, it does not matter which measurement is used, they are not the same. I did not mean to imply that, I meant to say that the metric equivalent of an Imperial measurement is not exactly the same, even measuring to one-tenth of a millimetre.

Britain formerly used Imperial measurements and made its goods in those measurements - often not less than one-sixteenth of an inch stages, and sometimes one-eighth. Much of the spare parts, and whole implements and machinery, are now imported and metric sizes are not exactly the same. A one-tenth of a millimetre difference is not far off your .050" and I just wondered if your Blecavator had a metric joint and your replacement is the nearest Imperial measurement as used in the US. Just a thought.

I am now in Europe and everything is measured in millimetres, except pipes and taps, which are measured in Imperial - e.g. 1" or 2" pipes and half inch or three-quarter inch taps. I forget he Portugues word for inch.

I understand exactly what you are saying. The original yoke has metric dimensions for the bearing caps "27 mm" but the length across the Tee is 1.5 mm longer than the metric series 4 cross. Why I don't know, you'll have to ask a Brit ;) ;)

Actually the original clutch was made in Italy for a Brit machine :confused2: