Online Buying vs Brick & Mortar.

/ Online Buying vs Brick & Mortar. #21  
@EddieWalker

Side note on LG. They sent a rep out from Shreveport to fix the dents in our new fridge (replaced the door). Good guy with some skills.

He gave me his card. Let me know and I'll share his info via PM.

/ Online Buying vs Brick & Mortar. #22  
Quick update to my online buying experience of my LG Washing Machine from Lowes. They sent a text and then called at 9am to tell me they where 15 minutes away. At 9:17, it was delivered. They said they where out of Mesquite TX. I asked them to put it in my garage, which they did, and that was that. Super fast, easy and simple. I wasn't planning on being here, but decided to stick around since they where going to be here so early. I guess this is the future of buying appliances. Why take the time to drive to Lowes, wait for somebody to help you, and then haul it here, if it's in stock? Just go online and then it's here the next day!!!!

/ Online Buying vs Brick & Mortar. #23  
There is an ACE hardware store 45 minutes away, Lowe's is 5 minutes closer. There is a feed store in town (10 minutes away) that carries some limited things, but handles tractor tires and other truly farm related stuff. ACE is expensive, but I use them if I need a few unusual parts. Lowe's is my primary construction supplier, but if I want cabinet grade materials, it's about 120 miles. Most of the things I need/want are not available locally or even within an hour drive, so Amazon gets most of my business. I've found that Amazon is NOT the cheapest but it sure is convienient, so for expensive items, i'll try to find the supplier and check directly with them. I usually do chores during the day and shopping on-line at night. If I have to shop in town, it pretty much takes up the day, so when do I get my chores done? I don't like working by flashlight. I've done it before and didn't like it then, so I only shop in town if I go in for groceries.

/ Online Buying vs Brick & Mortar. #24  
The small businesses cannot blame Walmart or online ordering for their downfall without acknowledging their own mistakes. They failed to keep up with current lifestyles. Most of these small businesses are open 9-5, closed weekends. In two spouse working families, people go shopping evenings and weekends. The small businesses are closed and only the big box or online sources are open at those times. I cannot buy anything from a small business if they are closed when I go there.

/ Online Buying vs Brick & Mortar. #25  
Even out here away from the city, if I order from Amazon, the nice FedEx lady or nice USPS lady brings it to me tomorrow (often).

The problem with the small local stores is that they often don't want to step into the 20th century (not a typo). Nothing stopping them from putting up a website where I can see if they have what I need without driving into town, wandering around the store or asking a kid that knows nothing to help.

That being said, if it is something we know is carried at the local hardware store, we will typically get it there (unless price is too far off). Even on Amazon, we find it there and then seek out the manufacturer and try to buy directly if possible.

My local awesome hardware store/ Stihl dealer has some pretty cool on line features.

Let’s say I want to buy a Stihl chainsaw. If I go to Stihl’s website and look at a particular Stihl product, it will show up with a banner across the top of my local hardware store, the availability (in stock) and even the price. It’s also show optional bar & chain sizes with prices. I think it does the same with other brands.

Everytime I walk in, I feel welcome, treated like family, given a discount, and get better than expected advice. I WANT to go there. My son now goes there, too and buys work clothes, hats, etc.

/ Online Buying vs Brick & Mortar. #26  
Are you self installing?

There was a time when tires came with complimentary installation, bubble balance and flat repair…

Now these are all line item charges so why not shop best price?
Just saw this, so sorry that I am so late responding, actually when buying tires off of Ebay they offer a service to have the tires delivered to and installed at various local tire stores with prices starting at $25 per tire for mounting , balancing, and install. I can't remember the last time that anything was somewhat reasonable for install on new tires, so I was surprised with the Ebay deal.

/ Online Buying vs Brick & Mortar. #27  
I go to Stihl’s website and look at a particular Stihl product, it will show up with a banner across the top of my local hardware store, .... Everytime I walk in, I feel welcome, treated like family, given a discount, and get better than expected advice. I WANT to go there.
I applaud supporting a local dealer this way. Unfortunately, most of the time it works the opposite.

I watched a highly successful, long term camera store grapple with the rise of internet shoppers. Everyone continued coming to their store for advice plus the ability to pick up and handle cameras and get the feel of them. But then a high percentage of them purchased online to get the lower price.

It turned the camera store from very profitable to unprofitable. After years of that, the store instituted a fee of $10 to handle a camera-- applicable toward purchase. It only slowed the decline and they were eventually driven out of business and the owners (and their families) lost quite a bit of money on the way down.

/ Online Buying vs Brick & Mortar. #28  
The small businesses cannot blame Walmart or online ordering for their downfall without acknowledging their own mistakes.
It's not just small businesses.

Just in the last few days it has been announced by 3 companies that well over 1,000 pharmacies will be permanently closing soon.

/ Online Buying vs Brick & Mortar. #29  
   / Online Buying vs Brick & Mortar. #30