One stuck PHD

/ One stuck PHD #1  

gmason

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC35D4
I'm drilling hole for my pole barn now and got my PHD stuck in a hole. The shear pin broke and I'm having trouble getting the pin out of the shaft. Once I do that though are there any suggestion for getting the auger out. I'm pouring water down the hole now.

thanks
gary

/ One stuck PHD #2  
GOT A SHOVEL? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I've gotten my PHD stuck a few times, I unstick it by putting the tractor in reverse and backing up a few inches, then pulling forward a few inches. Usually after rocking it back and forth in the hole a couple times I engage the PTO and it will spin freely and lift right out. The walls of the hole will be a little soft (most of my soil is hard clay) but other than that the rocking technique works well for me, but you will have to replace the shear pin so you can spin the auger back out. I don't know that you'd be able to lift it without the help of the spinning action because it spun into its stuck postion in the first place.

/ One stuck PHD #3  
If Bob's ideas fail, you could always unhook the PHD, then use your FEL, with a chain attached to the PHD, and lift it out. I've never done this, but it sounds good in theory. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've never gotten my PHD stuck. The few times I got close, I used the technique Bob recommended. I also had to remember to increase the throttle in order to get more lifting capability from the 3ph since I usually have the throttle fairly low when drilling.

/ One stuck PHD #4  
I got a PHD 'hooked' under a rock and wasn't able to lift it out of the hole once. I shut the tractor off and put a bar through the PTO shaft and unscrewed the auger from the ground. The hardest part was removing the PTO shield.

Kevin

/ One stuck PHD #5  
seems like you should be able to "unscrew" it with a pipe wrench??
heehaw

/ One stuck PHD #6  
Right on!! That is the best way.

RedDog <font color="orange"> Kioti DK65 </font>

/ One stuck PHD #8  
Hydraulic PHD do have reverse, but they cost twice as much as PTO PHD. I guess they charge you for the comin' and goin'. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ One stuck PHD #9  
Hambone, you'd accomplish a "reverse" one of two ways. Either with a PTO that could shift into reverse (probably way too expensive for any tractor manufacturer to ever consider, and of very limited use) or by having a reversable gearbox on the PHD itself. Adding a reversable gearbox to the top of the PHD would also probably be very expensive, especially considering that it has limited value other than to back out a stuck auger . . . something which doesn't really happen all that often anyway.

/ One stuck PHD #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm pouring water down the hole now. )</font>

Depending on what kind of soil you have, pouring water on it COULD make it worse. I've tried pulling things out of the mud sometimes,but it created such a SUCTION it made it worse.

If you have enough of the auger of your post hole digger showing, you could wrap a chain around it, and pull it out with a front end loader if you have one or if a friend or neighbor has one.