One or many... multiprocess vs Mig with separate Tig/Stick down the road

/ One or many... multiprocess vs Mig with separate Tig/Stick down the road #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I've read so many different threads I can't see straight. I'm ready to pull the trigger, but just when I'm about to do it, some more information seeps in and messes with the equation.

I have need for a welder, likely Mig. Grew up with a stick Tombstone but haven't touched one in about 30yrs.

AT this point, it is mainly farm work, so I was thinking Mig/Fluxcore for outside. However, I'd like the option for fabrication and eventually, I can see myself using Tig for some aluminum and thin material ideas I have. This is NOT my main priority at this point however.

Things I NEED...

- 110/220V input
- Straight forward controls. (I really like the way Lincoln 210 interface works, but the Miller 211 is also nice.) Given I'm not an expert, I'd go with idiot controls with minimal fine tuning by me, at least at this point.)
- Usability... It needs to be VERY straightforward. I'm not an idiot, but I also have no desire to be futzing around for an hour just to get things lined up and ready to go.
- Relative portability. I want to be able to put it in the pickup bed along with a generator, and go to the pasture, if needed.
- In accordance with the portability, I need a machine that can stand up to being moved around in such a manner. It isn't going to be a daily, even 6 monthly occurrence, but I don't want something fragile.
- If I get a Multiprocess, I want Tig - HF start along with AC ability. I don't want to spend all my time trying to 'learn' a harder technique simply because others can do it just fine. I am after results, not about learning from the ground up. I want the easiest process to get where I want to be. (Shoot this thinking down if I am off... I've never Tig Welded, so I understand my thinking could be 'off'.)

Things I'd LIKE...
- Reliability... I know, you'd think this would be in the 'need', but I'm not making money from this, so while I'd like it to never go down, I know reality is inherent in the world. I don't want 3x price for 'improved' reliability. This is a hard thing to explain, so I hope you can understand I'm looking for that 'sweetspot' on getting what I pay for and making sure I actually can use and need what I pay for, for my purposes.
- Price... obviously, I want a very good VALUE... this, to me doesn't mean 'cheap', just that I am willing to pay for what I NEED, not simply for a pretty color or sticker on the box.
- Service and tech support.

I was looking hard at the Multiprocess Everlast 211si for the 'Everythingness' along with price.
I've looked at the Millermatic 211 for a 'Mig only' and something different 'down the road' for Stick/Tig.
I like the Lincoln 210, but I think I'm paying for a Tig option which is only DC and lift start. (I'd probably go with this one, if it had AC/DC, HF, and a gas solenoid for Tig.)

Basically, I'm trying to decide whether I should just get 'what I need' ie a straight up MIG machine. Or a Multiprocess machine.

The Everlast 211si is tempting given it does it all, at the same price as the Millermatic 211. But...

/ One or many... multiprocess vs Mig with separate Tig/Stick down the road #2  
I am always wrong, so dont pay me any attention. Personally, for farm work in the field, I would just go with a straight mig. If you want to weld aluminum, buy a spool gun. In the shop, I would buy a ac/dc stick/tig machine for heavy steel repair and for the thin aluminum jobs. A dual voltage welder in the field is limited to the size generator you have to power it with. Having to have a welder and a generator is alright if you only need it once in a while, but not to handy if you have to use it a lot. You might want to consider a gas or diesle welder for the work in the field. You can still buy a spool gun for mig work and dc scratch start tig is still a option. Only you know how much you will use it. Nobody wants to hear a big gas welder running in the shop, In my shop I have a lincoln stick/tig welder. I also have a MM175 mig, but it isnt dual voltage so I wont be taking it in the field, but could with the right generator.

/ One or many... multiprocess vs Mig with separate Tig/Stick down the road #3  
I've been in the same boat. The Lincoln ads would have you buy the squarewave to stick and tig and a mig. The total is under 3k. The Miller Syncrowave will do all 3 for about 3k. If tig is way down the road get a Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt and add one of these. It will definitely get the tig ball rolling.

Weldmark 105Z57 15PCA Power Cable Adapter Weldmark 15Z57 15PCA Power Cable Adapter - - Amazon.com

/ One or many... multiprocess vs Mig with separate Tig/Stick down the road #4  
   / One or many... multiprocess vs Mig with separate Tig/Stick down the road
I think I was mistaken with the Everlast 211. I think it is DC Tig only. I had thought it was AC/DC. If this is the case, a straight MIG system with a separate AC/DC Stick/Tig system becomes much more palatable.

As far as a Generator. I have a 220v capable Generator. I won't have a huge likelihood of pasture repairs, but having said this, right now, my scraper is sitting in the field, with a part requiring welding before I can move it. 95% of the time, welding will be done at the house and in a controlled environment.

Last edited:
   / One or many... multiprocess vs Mig with separate Tig/Stick down the road #6  
In that case look for a used Miller 211 /212 (transformer units) or similar to run off your genset. Shop for AC/DC tig later.

/ One or many... multiprocess vs Mig with separate Tig/Stick down the road #7  
In that case look for a used Miller 211 /212 (transformer units) or similar to run off your genset. Shop for AC/DC tig later.
Extremely happy with my easy to use Miller 211 transformer. I have the Spool gun for aluminum but it is still in the box. Someday I will break that out and play with it. Also someday I will invest in a TIG. I'm not a stick guy and haven't done that since college days. No desire to learn it again.

/ One or many... multiprocess vs Mig with separate Tig/Stick down the road #8  
For what you described I'd go seperate units, I haven't found a multi process setup that does everything I want, as you found most don't have ac.

I like the looks of the Lincoln square wave 200 for the price.

For mig there's a lot of options from all the manufacturers, the inverter machines do have the advantage of the dual voltage.

/ One or many... multiprocess vs Mig with separate Tig/Stick down the road #9  
I've been in the same boat. The Lincoln ads would have you buy the squarewave to stick and tig and a mig. The total is under 3k. The Miller Syncrowave will do all 3 for about 3k. If tig is way down the road get a Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt and add one of these. It will definitely get the tig ball rolling.

Weldmark 105Z57 15PCA Power Cable Adapter Weldmark 15Z57 15PCA Power Cable Adapter - - Amazon.com

Buying the new Miller Syncrowave will limit you to migging with the spool gun, though.

/ One or many... multiprocess vs Mig with separate Tig/Stick down the road #10  
Buying the new Miller Syncrowave will limit you to migging with the spool gun, though.

True. The syncrowave is a more feature packed tig when compared to the Lincoln 2 machine option- Squarewave and a mig machine. If the tig is down the road I'd go with the Lincoln option and if money is tight I'd do the nice mig and a Miller Thunderbolt.

Edit- the Thunderbolt allows AC/DC scratch start tig

Last edited: