One more TN series question/topic

/ One more TN series question/topic #1  

Phred

Veteran Member
Tractor
TN70D, 4wd, 16x16 trans
We can't let all the discussions be TC based....although this may apply to TC series as well?

Have any of you looked at the rear tire spacing? It looks like mine came with a medium setting, see attached. I wonder what the trade off is in going to a wider rear tire spacing.
Would improve the stability.
Perhaps also increase the loads on the rear axel.

Anyone play around with this?

Fred

Attachments

• 263812-tire small.jpg
    263812-tire small.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 198
   / One more TN series question/topic #2  
4 possible positions. The dish/wheel can be in or out. In addition, the rim/tire assembly can be mounted inside or outside the dish.

Narrow = greater travel ease, but less stability
Wider = greater stability, need bigger travel lane/wider implements, theoretically greater stress on bearings/gears

My TC40D is dish out with rim on inner position. Plenty of stability and tire tracks covered by 72" implements.

If changing, mind the tread direction - you may have to switch tires to opposite sides.

Mark

/ One more TN series question/topic
So it is the same for a TC...... I suspect these designs may have a lot in common.

From your description and what I have read in the manual I have one more wider setting.
To make it wider I would simply remove the tire with the center 8 bolts and then remove the inner hub from the tire with the outer six bolts. Then flip the center hub around and re-assemble.
I don't see how this would effect the tread direction?

Fred

/ One more TN series question/topic #4  
You got it!

Tire treads: A lazy man might just want the dish out and, rather than take apart two things, might think to himself, "I'll just switch the entire assembly." After struggling with loaded tires and making the switch, he would realize the treads were facing backwards. I don't know anyone like this "example".... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Mark

/ One more TN series question/topic #5  
<font color="blue"> From your description and what I have read in the manual I have one more wider setting. To make it wider I would simply remove the tire with the center 8 bolts and then remove the inner hub from the tire with the outer six bolts. Then flip the center hub around and re-assemble. </font>
Thinking out loud... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Wouldn't it be easier to take the wheel off, turn it 180 degrees (wider setting) and install it on the other side (tread in correct direction)?

/ One more TN series question/topic
Mark,
Boy I have been there also... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Mike,
That would save work but I think the inner part must be flipped with respect to the wheel to get the max spacing.
But maybe I am wrong...?

This is one of those times when its good not to have filled tires.

Fred

/ One more TN series question/topic #7  
Don't forget that with wider rear tire spacing you have less usable permitted weight of implement on 3 pt, according to axle/bearings stress, as Mark mentioned before. That means: for wider and heavier attachments keep narrow track setting.