One bottom plow or two?

/ One bottom plow or two? #11  
Note that there are differences in the cutting edges and moldboard between breaking and regular tillage plows. The breaking plow will pull a little easier and turn and lay down a nice strip of sod. The normal tillage plow makes a mess when used on sod.

Setting up a plow properly has been done many a time by many persons.

/ One bottom plow or two? #12  
I've been at this since the mid 50s but I'm always eager to learn in cases like this when others are teaching. The only way I've been able to successfully use a single moldboard is using a much larger tractor capable of pulling 3. When attempting to use a single moldboard with a tractor similar in hp and weight to this one,here's what happened. If plow is offset to the right so it fills farrow of last pass the front of tractor is constantly pulling hard to right which increases load on tractor often causing it to stall. Repeated lifting plow and backing up to get straight makes it look like hogs rooted the field,not to mention how hard it is on tractor and operator. If plow is centered so it pulls straight and doesn't overload engine the right wheels must run over and compacting freshly turned soil from previous pass. How do those of you recommending single bottom handle the problems I experienced when I tried it?

/ One bottom plow or two? #13  

My guess is your moldboard was improperly positioned left-to-right along the plow frame.
Correct alignment for one tractor is often incorrect when plow is moved to a second tractor.
It could be many other things, possibly a bent/distorted plow frame.

Did someone proficient at plow use coach you in the beginning?

Last edited:
   / One bottom plow or two? #14  

My guess is your moldboard was improperly positioned left-to-right along the plow frame.
Correct alignment for one tractor is often incorrect when plow is moved to a second tractor.
It could be many other things, including a bent/distorted plow frame.

Did someone experienced at plow use coach you in the beginning?
Thanks for posting that to support my assertion it requires extra horsepower to pull a single offset plow (50 horse 4wd in this video). Despite what narrator says,that soil is far from hard to work compared to average.

/ One bottom plow or two? #15  
Thanks for posting that to support my assertion it requires extra horsepower to pull a single offset plow (50 horse 4wd in this video). Despite what narrator says,that soil is far from hard to work compared to average.
single plows tend to go a lot deeper then two or three plow ... personally when I had the issue of the tractor getting pull by the plow like you describe it was alwayse because the soil was too dry...

/ One bottom plow or two? #16  
Jaxs
My experience is similar to yours in trying to use one bottom plow. I think problem I had was the one bottom was made for larger frame or wheel width than these little compacts are. Back in the 50’s and 60’s tractors did not have 4 ft wheel base they where probably closer to 5 or 6 ft. I am thinking of tractors like “C” farmall, 8N ford, A John Deere etc.

Newer one bottom made for smaller tractors should work better but I have never used one.

/ One bottom plow or two? #17  
years ago i used a two bottom jd plow behind my mahindra 2810 shuttle and it pulled it just fine i am not sure of the size of the plows but they are pretty big , Since i got the tillers i dont plow anymore .