? on hst filter 50 hr. service

/ ? on hst filter 50 hr. service #1  

HEC

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5700 @ B2650HSDC
I am quite sure that oil first passes through the center of the filter and then goes through the element to it's destination, is that correct ? The reason I ask is that there were a couple specks of metal ( very very tiny ) when I dumped the oil that was left in the filter into a clean container on the 50 hr. hst filter change .There was also a light grey sediment in the bottom of the white container I put the oil in . I havn't run the tractor and considering changing the hyd. fluid due to this sediment that settled in the bottom of the container what do you guys think ? I ordered the hyd. filter from Messicks today if i decide to do the complete change . I can understand a couple tiny metal flakes but the grey sediment is what concerns me , is all the fluid like this or just what was trapped in the filter ?

/ ? on hst filter 50 hr. service #2  
Typical flow path of oil through filters is from the outside in. It is far more difficult to crush the filter element that it is to explode it.

/ ? on hst filter 50 hr. service #3  
Don't most HST tractors require OIL & FILTER change at 50 hours?

/ ? on hst filter 50 hr. service #4  
Mine is filter only. Heck, my Ventrac is 2000 hours before changing any HST stuff.

/ ? on hst filter 50 hr. service #5  
Filters flow from outside in trapping debris between filter body and media.

Chris

/ ? on hst filter 50 hr. service #6  
Don't most HST tractors require OIL & FILTER change at 50 hours?

My manual does state to change the engine oil and filter at 50 hours and the HST and HYD. filters but not the fluid. I changed my filters at 42 hours and topped off HYD. with fresh fluid. About 2-3 gallons is what came out when changing the filter. I wasn't going to put the old fluid back in.

/ ? on hst filter 50 hr. service
Filters flow from outside in trapping debris between filter body and media.

Chris

If that's the case when I dumped the oil out of the filter and could see a couple of metal flakes ,they must have gone through the filter media, is that correct ?

/ ? on hst filter 50 hr. service #8  
If that's the case when I dumped the oil out of the filter and could see a couple of metal flakes ,they must have gone through the filter media, is that correct ?

Possible but doubtful. Flakes you can see should never pass through a filter. Depending on filter style and mounting position there are a couple of different ways that debris can get "inside" of the filter.

1) If the filter has a by-pass valve. This valve allows oil to by-pass once a certain differential pressure is reached. This is for cold weather start-ups to prevent the filter housing from exploding.

2) If mounted horizontal or vertical facing up. Flakes can sometimes be washed out by the escaping oil and then fall inside the element.

/ ? on hst filter 50 hr. service #9  
Visible flakes cannot pass through the filter (not even close) unless it had some big holes in the media. However, I have seen many brand new filters where if you rub a finger over the threads or inside, you will get metal flakes from manufacturing. So it's very possible the flakes were from the filter itself and just came loose when the filter was removed.

The gray sludge is from super fine metal particles, and these will get trapped in the filter. Very typical to see in all types of gear oil in transmissions, differentials, etc.... (been present in the gear oil of every vehicle I have owned, in fact) and would not concern me at all.

Was there a magnetic ring on the filter? In addition to being trapped in filters, the sludge will collect on magnetic drain plugs or magnetic rings on filters. If you try to wipe off the magnet, it will be maddeningly difficult sometimes. The magnetic ring on the hydraulic filter of my L3200 had a fuzz of the gray sludge at the 50 hour service. The new filter came with a clean new magnet ring.

/ ? on hst filter 50 hr. service
Visible flakes cannot pass through the filter (not even close) unless it had some big holes in the media. However, I have seen many brand new filters where if you rub a finger over the threads or inside, you will get metal flakes from manufacturing. So it's very possible the flakes were from the filter itself and just came loose when the filter was removed.

The gray sludge is from super fine metal particles, and these will get trapped in the filter. Very typical to see in all types of gear oil in transmissions, differentials, etc.... (been present in the gear oil of every vehicle I have owned, in fact) and would not concern me at all.

Was there a magnetic ring on the filter? In addition to being trapped in filters, the sludge will collect on magnetic drain plugs or magnetic rings on filters. If you try to wipe off the magnet, it will be maddeningly difficult sometimes. The magnetic ring on the hydraulic filter of my L3200 had a fuzz of the gray sludge at the 50 hour service. The new filter came with a clean new magnet ring.

Thanks everyone for all the input !!!!!!!!

There was no magnet in any area which is very disappointing .There may be on the drain plugs , not sure about that . I have never owned an hst so I'm just not sure how fussy they are . I guess that's why the extra filter . The dealer charged me $ 150 for a 5 gal. pail of Kubota sudt 2 fluid so I didn't want to just waste it if it wasn't needed at this 50 hr. service .

Last edited: