On flat but wet ground, will a zero turn or tractor have better traction?

/ On flat but wet ground, will a zero turn or tractor have better traction? #11  
Because we never stop thinking about new machines... I started pondering a zero turn to replace my X350. Why? I don't know... but I was wondering if a ZT would handle some pretty wet spots in my yard better. I have some natural springs, and other drainage issues, so even when it is super dry, there are some iffy spots. I swung by the JD dealer just to look at ZT's (never considered one originally, my wife said she would use the tractor, but would never use a ZT, turns out she won't use either...), and the sales guy noted that ZT's can have better traction, since the tires that need to bite have all the weight over them, whereas my X350's engine weight is all over the little front tires. Never thought about it but had me thinking that Z530R could... maybe handle things better? Maybe I am just dreaming of something new... Let me know which is correct!
Check out a TRX 766 from Altoz. They are designed for wet, hilly, soft ground. They are a little pricey but might work for your situation.

/ On flat but wet ground, will a zero turn or tractor have better traction? #12  
Mow it driving down hill.

/ On flat but wet ground, will a zero turn or tractor have better traction? #13  
Because we never stop thinking about new machines... I started pondering a zero turn to replace my X350. Why? I don't know... but I was wondering if a ZT would handle some pretty wet spots in my yard better. I have some natural springs, and other drainage issues, so even when it is super dry, there are some iffy spots. I swung by the JD dealer just to look at ZT's (never considered one originally, my wife said she would use the tractor, but would never use a ZT, turns out she won't use either...), and the sales guy noted that ZT's can have better traction, since the tires that need to bite have all the weight over them, whereas my X350's engine weight is all over the little front tires. Never thought about it but had me thinking that Z530R could... maybe handle things better? Maybe I am just dreaming of something new... Let me know which is correct!

Have you considered this type of front deck mower with 4x4 and turf tires?

Most major manufacturers like New Holland, John Deere, Kubota, Toro etc. offer them.

Excellent for large areas, can access under fruit trees & hedges pretty good, and are built for the long run like commercial use, which is why I would not hesitate to buy used one in good shape but many hours of use.

IMG_5562.JPG

/ On flat but wet ground, will a zero turn or tractor have better traction? #14  
I could not be happier with the traction of my X739. 4 wheel drive combined with 4 wheel steering is unbeatable for a tractor platform- excellent traction and mowing.

I wanted the tractor so I could use it to pull aerators and big wagons. Extremely satisfied. 60" deck with mulching kit does a superb job.

/ On flat but wet ground, will a zero turn or tractor have better traction? #15  
I could not be happier with the traction of my X739. 4 wheel drive combined with 4 wheel steering is unbeatable for a tractor platform- excellent traction and mowing.

I wanted the tractor so I could use it to pull aerators and big wagons. Extremely satisfied. 60" deck with mulching kit does a superb job.

Looks like a fine lawn tractor.
4-wheel drive and 4-wheel steering makes it pretty complicated in my opinion....

I hope you will still be happy after few years and thousand or more hours of use?

/ On flat but wet ground, will a zero turn or tractor have better traction? #16  
Looks like a fine lawn tractor.
4-wheel drive and 4-wheel steering makes it pretty complicated in my opinion....

I hope you will still be happy after few years and thousand or more hours of use?
Me too. I'm hoping the hefty price tag will be reflected in durability. My last Deere lawn tractor lasted a very long time.

/ On flat but wet ground, will a zero turn or tractor have better traction? #17  
I have a flat wet area here that can be a PIA to cut. I have used four different mowers over that area. It is plain ole' grass there with the few muddy spots where the grass can't grow due to the excessive water (at times and not this summer as it's been drier than normal). I'll explain them in order but the bottom line is the best at it is the Simplicity Citation XL with a 61" deck with super wide rear tires due to the fast speed and floatation of the tires.

1. Ford 1900 with FWD assist - I used this mower in the wet area for years. It was basically 4wd and with full farm tractor bar tires it would go through there and never stop or pause or anything. But, it would tear the crap out of the ground. Trenches like no tomorrow and mud everywhere tearing up the top layer of sod. It basically made a bigger mess than it was worth to even cut the grass there. In dry stretches like we have this year though it would not be as bad of course and just cut the grass as normal. Results were decent but you have to like the dirt showing all the time.

2. Steiner 420 with AWD - This mower is a front mounted 48" mower and it has high floatation low pressure tires that are wide with bar treads. This one just floats over the mud but the front mower deck wheels since they are narrow would dig into the soft areas and leave marks. I don't use that mower for more than a backup and IMO was not acceptable for a nice yard look either (like the Woods 72" deck on the 1900 above did too).

3. Simplicity XT2500 ZTR with a 48" deck - This zero turn was my first attempt at trying to cut the swamp area. It did a ok job and I would SPEEEEED across the water and mud and it would slide back and forth as it did. If it was really wet I totally avoided that area and let the grass just grow as there was no other choice (unless I wanted to Ford mud it to death but that wasn't worth it either). Usually I'd just wait till it was dry somewhat and then cut it. That mower weighs about 500lb so was a lightweight. The rear tires are the limiting factor.

4. Simplicity Citation XL with a 61" deck - This one was the best at the mud cutting area. And the reason is because you can FLY across that stretch at full speed. Yeah it'll wiggle some as it's slinging the water and some minor mud but for the most part you can get across due to the "object in motion tends to stay in motion" theory. Cutting fast like that mower is capable of is it's high point. The 27 hp engine and 61" deck mean you don't spend much time in the bad area and it doesn't trench it up. When it's really terribly wet I still don't cut there as it's pointless anyway. But it does get cut more often than it used to with any of my other mowing choices. (Also had a Grey 12hp Craftsman and a 24hp Black Professional Craftsman that I tried that with and failed miserably as they were terribly slow and engine in front weight with little traction over wheels doesn't help in mud). High speed and wide floatation tires makes all the difference.

Personally I suggest you look at the Simplicity Citation. A full suspension ride so you can actually cut the grass at full speeds. And it's good for soft areas and I cut my hillside with it as well. A jack of all trades I wouldn't trade for another machine. And I've cut with them all.

/ On flat but wet ground, will a zero turn or tractor have better traction? #18  
I use my tractor to pull out my zero turn when it gets stuck……

Zero turn is much quicker and more comfortable than a tractor, at least in my case. You learn to avoid the wet spots until they dry up enough to get there.

/ On flat but wet ground, will a zero turn or tractor have better traction? #19  
Have you considered this type of front deck mower with 4x4 and turf tires?

Most major manufacturers like New Holland, John Deere, Kubota, Toro etc. offer them.

Excellent for large areas, can access under fruit trees & hedges pretty good, and are built for the long run like commercial use, which is why I would not hesitate to buy used one in good shape but many hours of use.

View attachment 805318

If I got another front deck 4x4 would be a must have. I have a F2560 and it’s 2wd and it’s traction is terrible.