Old Timer Lookin to Downsize Large Professional Shop

/ Old Timer Lookin to Downsize Large Professional Shop #1  

Tractorable

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tractorless, 2022 F350 Tremor, 24ft Diamond C HDT Equipment Trailer, 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
Got an old timer here in Virginia who’s looking to downsize and sell off most of his equipment. Former professional welder and pipe fitter with tons of professional welding and metal working equipment. 82 years old, had a stroke last year and lost mobility in his arm. Can’t run the weed eater anymore and nature is taking over all the outdoor equipment.

Off the top of my head he’s got an old international tractor, cub cadet riding mowers, four wheeler, high end MIG and TIG welders, plasma cutters, lots of smaller welders, Chevy flat bed shop truck with Bobcat welder and tools, lathe, drill presses, Wilton vices, diesel generator welders, tons of round bar stock, iron working machine that bends half inch plate like nothing, 5 ton crane, band saws, sand blaster, and on and on.

How do you reckon is the best way for a feller to get rid of all this stuff late in life?

Some pics

IMG_8826.JPG
IMG_8827.JPG
IMG_8831.JPG
IMG_8836.JPG
IMG_8844.JPG
IMG_8849.JPG
IMG_8851.JPG
IMG_8852.JPG
IMG_8855.JPG
IMG_8866.JPG

/ Old Timer Lookin to Downsize Large Professional Shop #2  
If he can stand it emotionally a specialty auction for welders and machinists live would be best. I've seen online auctions for specialized stuff go for 10% of what it's worth. I've attended live auctions for the same tools and they bring almost new prices. Old stuff is much higher quality... especially vices for instance.

/ Old Timer Lookin to Downsize Large Professional Shop #3  
   / Old Timer Lookin to Downsize Large Professional Shop #4  
I'd start with a garage sale for the small stuff and then Facebook Marketplace and then contact Sandhills (Tractor House) for the big stuff. They just don't sell tractors, the sell everything.

/ Old Timer Lookin to Downsize Large Professional Shop #5  
My experience with online auction s is that they are great for sellers and not so great for buyers. It is super easy to bid on something from your couch, but showing up on the day of an auction requires commitment. I would say the opposite of RustyA's input, but we all have our own experiences. Around here there are a few auction houses that went full-on into the online thing, and I have mainly given up looking to buy from them as there are never any bargains. I've seen it happen where stuff sells more than new live too, but at least there you have a chance as they have to be present on the day to bid.

Look more for a Farm auction place or one that deals in equipment regularly for the best audience/return. A few of the places around here run a periodic "Machinery consignment auction" every few months. That would be the kind of place you want to find.

/ Old Timer Lookin to Downsize Large Professional Shop #6  
Advertising on a tractor form is always a good start!

/ Old Timer Lookin to Downsize Large Professional Shop #7  
Pm me the price of the truck as pictured

/ Old Timer Lookin to Downsize Large Professional Shop #8  
Online auction with buyer's premiums seems to be the going thing these days around here.

Like dstig1 said they are heavily geared towards sellers. I refuse to go to these auctions as a buyer because they end up being overly expensive after all the fees and taxes and new with warranty becomes cost effective.

/ Old Timer Lookin to Downsize Large Professional Shop #9  
It also depends on how fast he wants to move everything. A estate sale might get rid of a good bit of it. Or if he has an amount in his head that he would like to get for everything, someone may would just take it all. I have done that a few times over the years. Just make an offer on everything and keep what I want and sell the rest.

/ Old Timer Lookin to Downsize Large Professional Shop #10  
This is a constant problem when trying to downsize the daily activity.
I'm cleaning out my tractor shed and no one is willing to pay. What I'm thinking is worth selling.
So load on the trailer and haul to salvage.
I don't want a bunch of lookers on the property and then get the midnight thief to come in and take what he wants.
Lost a pick-up this way. tools and spare parts.missing.
Being realistic. It is worn out or would have been used?
Have placed items on the side of the road for sale, got tired of looking at it then loaded on trailers.
The labor to get anything repaired out ways the new cost.
An example. Uncle worked on and rebuilt Ford cars. and owned a building
filled with "T"'"A" and other's after passing the son's never spent any time in his shop.donated the shop to a antique club. Just to git rid of having to do it themsevles.
To sum up this if no one wants it load it. most likly the family doesn't care.
ken