Old style Yanmar Tillers

/ Old style Yanmar Tillers #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
We were discussing tillers the other day. Tillers tend to be made to match local conditions and they live a hard life. Easy serviceability is the key. Yanmar made several types in various configurations. The ones shown in these attachments are the heavier duty type made for small farming. These heavier tillers cost from $1300 to $2000 in the mid 1980s. They were tough implements, and asked a lot of the tractors that powered them.

Yanmar also made a light weight line in the $800 to $1200 range for home garden and lawn use; customers liked to buy the heavier ones when they could.
Enjoy,
rScotty

Attachments

• YHT Series Tillers_pg1.jpg
    YHT Series Tillers_pg1.jpg
    529.4 KB · Views: 319
  • YHT Series Tillers_pg2.jpg
    YHT Series Tillers_pg2.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 265
   / Old style Yanmar Tillers #2  
Wow those American-made tillers are heavy. My RS1400 (the decal on it shows that it was OEM with Japan-market YM2000) weighs maybe half that. I don't know actual weight but its no big deal to rassle it around by hand to hook it up.

/ Old style Yanmar Tillers #3  
Wow those American-made tillers are heavy. My RS1400 (the decal on it shows that it was OEM with Japan-market YM2000) weighs maybe half that. I don't know actual weight but its no big deal to rassle it around by hand to hook it up.

I have an RS 1205 that I bought used years ago. During my divorce, I lost the metal wheels that tracked behind the tiller but with my new tractor, it doesn't seem to make any difference. I keep looking at the heavy metal frame that the wheels attached to trying to figure a way to cut it off and lighten the load. It doesn't seem to be connected to the hitch.

The tine spacing is pretty tight and I assume it is for soft soils. I'm looking for some information on tine configuration for different types of soil. Ours is glacial and contains some potato sized cobbles which the tiller doesn't like.